SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
In the ninth pAsuram – After inseparably uniting with me, why are you wandering in utter perplexity as if you have done nothing [to uplift me]? Also explained as – emperumAn trying to leave saying “I would like to know what you think”, AzhwAr says “How can you go now?”
Ninth pAsuram. AzhwAr says to emperumAn “When initially I was unaware of you, you made me aware about yourself and your qualities, transformed me to a state where I cannot exist without you; [after doing all of this] you should not leave me”.
எந்தாய்! தண் திருவேங்கடத்துள் நின்றாய்! இலங்கை செற்றாய்! மரா மரம் –
பைந்தாள் ஏழ் உருவ ஒரு வாளி கோத்த வில்லா!
கொந்து ஆர் தண் அம் துழாயினாய் அமுதே! உன்னை என்னுள்ளே குழைத்த எம் –
மைந்தா! வான் ஏறே! இனி எங்குப் போகின்றதே?
endhAy! thaN thiruvEngadaththuL ninRAy! ilangai seRRAy! marA maram –
paindhAL Ezh uruva oru vALi kOththa villA!
kondhu Ar thaN am thuzhAyinAy amudhE! unnai enuLLE kuzhaindha em –
maindhA! vAn ERE! ini engup pOginRadhE?
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
endhAy – being my categorical lord
thaN – cool – giving relief from fatigue
thiruvEngadaththuL – in thirumalA
ninRAy – arrived and stayed there, being very simple to approach
ilangai – lankA (which is the abode of the enemies of emperumAn‘s devotees)
seRRAy – one who destroyed
marAmaram – pipal (peepal) trees’
paim – well-rounded
thAL – bottom portion
Ezhu – seven
uruva – to pierce
oru vALi – an arrow
kOththa – (effortlessly) launched
villA – one who is having the bow
koththu – bunches
Ar – abundance
thaN – cool
am thuzhAyinAy – being decorated with thuLasi garland
em amudhE – being eternally sweet (for me)
unnai – you with such qualities/aspects
en uLLE – inside me
kuzhaiththa – completely united (like water mixing in water)
maindhA – being eternally youthful
due to this reason,
vAn – for the nithyasUris
ERE – being their prideful leader
You, who has shown special/distinct relationship (towards me), simplicity, ability to eliminate enemies and instilled faith in me like you did in the case of sugrIva mahArAja, who has shown your divine beauty and united with me being very sweet to me, has been even greater than the nithyasUris who are residents of nithya vibhUthi (paramapadham),
ini – now
giving up this togetherness,
engu – where
pOginRadhu – going? This implies that AzhwAr is saying “don’t go anywhere”.
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Oh one who is being my categorical lord! Oh one who has arrived and stayed in cool thirumalA being very simple to approach! Oh one who destroyed lankA (which is the abode of the enemies of emperumAn‘s devotees)! Oh one who is having the bow from which you effortlessly launched an arrow to pierce the well-rounded bottom portion of the seven pipal (peepal) trees! One who is being decorated with abundant bunches of cool thuLasi garland! Being eternally sweet for me, being ever youthful with such qualities/aspects completely united with me inside me; due to this reason, being the prideful leader of nithyasUris (You having shown special/distinct relationship (towards me), simplicity, ability to eliminate enemies and instilled faith in me like you did in the case of sugrIva mahArAja, having shown your divine beauty and united with me being very sweet to me, being even greater than the nithyasUris who are residents of nithya vibhUthi (paramapadham)), now, giving up this togetherness, where are you going? This implies that AzhwAr is saying “don’t go anywhere”.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- endhAy – Oh lord who arrived in the cool thirumalA, manifested your lordship and engaged me in my servitude towards you!
- ilangai seRRAy – Just like you eliminated the hurdle that was stopping sIthA pirAtti from uniting with you, you eliminated those hurdles which were stopping my servitude towards you.
- marAmaram … – Here, emperumAn demonstrated that he would take up weapons to help his devotees. He pierced through the seven peepal trees which have broad base and knocked them down completely – Oh one who has such great archery skills!
- kondhAr thaN am thuzhAyinAy – He destroyed the peepal trees while having the garlands decorating him [i.e., he destroyed them effortlessly without even having the garlands disturbed]. Even if emperumAn is wearing any garland matching the particular incarnation [emperumAn may be wearing different types of flower garlands in different incarnations], they will appear as thuLasi garland only for AzhwAr. kondhAr – densely spread.
- amudhE – the form of SrI rAma aiming for the peepal trees is most relishable to AzhwAr.
- unnai … – While uniting he mixed seamlessly (like water mixing in water) and now if he says “I am leaving”, can that be allowed? Even if he leaves, he should take me along.
- maindhA – Due to uniting with me, you have acquired this new youthful charm!
- vAn ERE – Like being supreme after having given his experience to nithyasUris, here emperumAn is giving experience to AzhwAr and manifesting his supremacy.
- ini engup pOginRadhE – Are you leaving me who cannot sustain without you and going to those who can sustain without you? If you can leave nithyasUris, you can leave me too. While AzhwAr was removing emperumAn‘s doubt of “what if AzhwAr leaves me?” why is AzhwAr saying “Don’t leave me”? emperumAn being distinct/great, he would doubt and would also make the other person (AzhwAr) doubt about the togetherness [due to extreme love for each other].
- endhAy – Would you leave because you are not my lord? (No, you are my lord and thus cannot leave me – in this same way, each point to be concluded).
- thaN thiruvEngadaththuL ninRAy – Would you leave because you are far away from me?
- ilangai seRRAy – Would you leave because you do not have the ability to destroy the hurdles/enemies?
- marAmaram … – Would you leave because you would not take up weapons to help your devotees?
- kondhAr thaN am thuzhAyinAy – Would you leave because you have not decorated yourself with a garland [vowing] to protect your devotee?
- amudhE – Would you leave because you are not sweet by nature?
- unnai en uLLE kuzhaiththa – Would you leave because you have not united with me seamlessly?
- en maindhA – Would you leave because you are not youthful?
- vAnERE – Would you leave because you are lacking supremacy?
- ini engup pOginRadhE – Even if you leave, you have to take me along with you. Would you unite with me seamlessly and still leave alone?
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org