SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
How is that done? AzhwAr performed SaraNAgathi (surrender) in four decads viz thiruvAimozhi 5.7 nORRa nOnbu, thiruvAimozhi 5.8 ArAvamadhE, thiruvAimozhi 5.9 mAnE nOkku and thiruvAimozhi 5.10 piRandhavARum, sent messenger in thiruvAimozhi 6.1 vaigal, and still emperumAn did not arrive. Having romantic anger rising in him, AzhwAr remained firm along with his well-wishers thinking “Even if he comes, we won’t mingle with him”. emperumAn became anguished thinking “We went on time and protected SrI gajEndhrAzhwAn et al during their distress, but missed to do the same for AzhwAr”, came rushing and manifested his physical beauty, activities and his inability to bear the separation from AzhwAr, eliminated the romantic anger of AzhwAr and united with him. AzhwAr explains this in the mood of cowherd girls who were firm on not uniting with krishNa who was late to arrive, and how krishNa manifested his beauty etc and united with them, eliminating their romantic anger. mAmunigaL mercifully explains this principle explained in “minnidai madavArgaL” starting with “minnidaiyAr sEr kaNNan“.
minnidaiyAr sEr kaNNan meththena vandhAn enRu
thannilai pOyp peNNilaiyAyth thAn thaLLi unnudanE
kUdEn enRUdum kurugaiyarkOn thAL thozhavE
nAdORum nenjamE nalgu
min idaiyAr – girls who are having lightning like slender waist
sEr – united
kaNNan – krishNa
meththena vandhAn enRu – considering him to have arrived late
than nilai pOy – giving up his own posture
peN nilaiyAy – assuming the mood of cowherd girls
thAn thaLLi – pushing krishNa away (when he came to her private meeting place with her friends)
un udanE kUdEn enRu – saying I will not unite with you
Udum – showed romantic-anger
kurugaiyar kOn – nammAzhwAr
thAL thozha – to worship the divine feet of
nenjamE – Oh heart!
nAL thORum nalgu – You should help me everyday
Oh heart! You should help me everyday to worship the divine feet of nammAzhwAr who showed romantic-anger towards krishNa saying “I will not unite with you” and pushing him away, assuming the mood of cowherd girls after giving up his own posture since krishNa, who was united with the girls who are having lightning like slender waist, came late.
Highlights from vyAkyAnam
- minnidaiyAr sEr kaNNan meththena vandhAn enRu – krishNa was with the girls who are having lightning like slender waist, due to his focus on them, arrived in a lethargic manner and did not help during anguish in separation. Their (AzhwAr and friends) love towards krishNa is so deep that, it can make them mistake krishNa’s great love towards them differently and due to their anguish they can make his urge towards them to be insignificant. mAmunigaL has composed this line following AzhwAr’s words “minnidai madavArgaL ninnaruL sUduvAr munbu nAnadhanjuvan” (Damsels have lightning like slim waist and hence do not have any shortcoming in beautiful form, and humility etc which are qualities of the soul, and have acquired your mercy. I who know your actions towards them, in their presence, fear about this act of yours which will make them shy away from you, to weaken you) [1st pAsuram].
- than nilai pOyp peN nilaiyAy – That is, losing his form of kurugUrch chatakOpan and assuming the form of a cowherd girl.
- thAn thaLLi – As he approached the private place where the cowherd girls gather, they did not give him any space and refused to unite with him as said in SrI rAmAyaNam ayOdhyA kANdam 30.2 “praNayAchcha abhimAnAchcha parichikshEpa rAghavam” (due to previous union with great affection and the possessive pride, she reproached SrI rAma).
They reproached him as in:
- “pOgu nambI” (Oh one who is complete! Go) [1st pAsuram]
- “kuzhal Udhu pOy irundhE” (You go away and play flute) [2nd pAsuram]
- “pOy irundhu nin puLLuvam aRiyAdhavarkku urai nambI!” (You who are complete should leave and stay where those who don’t know your mischief exist and tell them those words) [3rd pAsuram]
- “emmai nI kazhaRElE” (You don’t try to fool us who know your mischief) [4th pAsuram]
- “em kuzhaRu pUvaiyodum kiLiyOdum kuzhagElE” (Don’t play joyfully with our myna and parrot which are speaking incohesively) [5th pAsuram]
- “kazhagam EREl nambI!” (Do not mingle in our assembly) [6th pAsuram]
- “kanmam anRu engaL kaiyil pAvai paRippadhu” (Touching and grabbing the doll in our hand are not apt acts) [7th pAsuram]
- “unakkElum pizhai pizhaiyE” (Even for you, such an act is a disgrace) [7th pAsuram]
emperumAn eliminated their anger and made them unite with him using his smile, glance, romantic words and acts, as said in:
- “un thAmarai purai kaNNiNaiyum sevvAy muRuvalum AgulangaL seyya” (You are smiling at us; your eyes which are attractive like a lotus flower and the smile manifested in your reddish mouth cause us anguish) [2nd pAsuram]
- “nin seyya vAy irum kaniyum kaNgaLum viparIdham in nAL” (your reddish fruit like best lips and eyes are causing pain nowadays) [3rd pAsuram]
- “vanmamE solli emmai nI viLaiyAdudhi” (you are telling us secrets and teasing us playfully) [7th pAsuram]
- “ugavaiyAl nenjam uL urugi un thAmaraith thadangaN vizhigaLin agavalaip paduppAn azhiththAy un thiruvadiyAl” (To have our heart melt with internal joy and to be captured in the net of the glance of your broad eye, we are building the sandcastle and heating our food; instead of seeing that, standing there and smiling to show the shining glow in your divine face, you destroyed those with your divine feet mercilessly) [9th pAsuram]
And subsequently, AzhwAr says “kUththa appan thannaik kurugUrch chatakOpan Eththiya thamizhmAlai” (kaNNan emperumAn was having the joyful pastime of crying and performing sit-ups when angered upon by mother yaSOdhA who is born in cowherd clan. Since nammAzhwAr mercifully spoke about such emperumAn who is the benefactor for the world, in the form of praises and a garland in dhrAvida (thamizh) language) [11th pAsuram], when mAmunigaL says “unnudanE kUdEn enRUdum kurugaiyarkOn“, he understands and reveals the way AzhwAr united with emperumAn also. Subsequently, in the next pAsuram, mAmunigaL will mercifully say “nalla valaththAl nammaich chErththOn” (krishNa who united with us using his good strength). Matching that, emperumAn should have united with AzhwAr in this decad.
- Udum kurugaiyarkOn thAL thozhavE nALthORum nenjamE nalgu – Oh heart! You help me always to worship and serve the divine feet of AzhwAr who has great love to make emperumAn pacify AzhwAr even after a small delay in arrival.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org