SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Full series >> Seventh Centum >> Tenth decad
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the tenth pAsuram, AzhwAr says “As one remains with thiruvARanviLai as the goal, there is nothing unknown”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr says “After emperumAn knows that my heart is focussed on his presence in thiruvARanviLai, he himself will know that my heart will not seek anything else”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
In tenth pAsuram, when asked “You consider thiruvARanviLai as the goal; what if emperumAn gives your thirunAdu (paramapadham)?” AzhwAr says “he is sarvagya (omniscient); will he not know [my heart]?”
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s introduction as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
Tenth pAsuram. Some explain this as – when asked “Are you just saying this? What if your heart really desires for paramapadham?” AzhwAr explains “You should ask this question to sarvESvaran who is at the origin of my thoughts”. Alternatively, piLLAn explains – when asked “You are considering thiruvARanviLai to be the goal; but isn’t ISvaran independent? What if he grants you paramapadham?” AzhwAr says “Isn’t he omniscient? Will he not know? Does he not grant purushArtham? He would only grant that which is desired by purusha [soul].
sindhai maRRonRin thiRaththadhallAth thanmai dhEva pirAn aRiyum
sindhaiyinAl seyvadhAn aRiyAdhana mAyangaL onRum illai
sindhaiyinAl sollinAl seygaiyAl nilaththEvar kuzhu vaNangum
sindhai magizh thiruvARanviLai uRai thIrththanukkaRRa pinnE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
sindhaiyinAl sollinAl seygaiyAl – with mind, body and speech
nilath thEvar – bhAgavathas’, who are the worshippable entities in this world
kuzhu – group
vaNangum – to worship
sindhai – heart (of the enjoyers)
magizh – bring joy
thiruvARanviLai – in thiruvARanviLai
uRai – residing
thIrththanukku – for the purest emperumAn
aRRa pin – after having dedicated (to totally exist for him)
sindhai – heart
maRRu onRin – anything else
thiRaththadhu allA – not considering as goal
thanmai – nature
dhEvan – master of nithyasUris
pirAn – the omniscient emperumAn himself
aRiyum – knows;
sindhaiyinAl – with the mind
seyya – done
mAyangaL – hidden acts
thAn – he
aRiyAdhana – unknown
onRum illai – there is nothing
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
The purest emperumAn is residing in thiruvARanviLai to be worshipped by and to bring joy for the group of bhAgavathas, who are worshippable themselves, with their mind, body and speech; after having dedicated myself to such emperumAn, the omniscient emperumAn knows himself the nature of my heart which does not consider anything else as goal; no hidden act which is done in the mind, is unknown to him.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
- sindhai maRRu onRin thiRaththadhu allAth thanmai dhEva pirAn aRiyum – sarvESvaran knows that my heart will not even think about paramapadham. thanmai – nature. maRRu indicates that even reciting the name “paramapadham” is undesirable.
When asked “While we are asking you, why are you bringing sarvESvaran as witness?” AzhwAr says,
- sindhaiyinAl … – While emperumAn thinks first, which is followed by AthmA’s thought, is there anything which emperumAn does not know? Is he not said in thirumAlai 34 “uLLuvAr uLLiRRU ellAm udan irundhu aRidhi” (being together with everyone, the thoughts of those who are thinking, are known to you)? AthmA can think only if emperumAn thinks first! Whatever is done by heart, there is nothing mischievous, which is unknown to him.
- sindhaiyinAl … – Just as nithyasUris, this is the abode where mumukshus (liberation seekers) also come and take shelter. The abode where the SrIvaishNavas who are known as bhUsuras (worshippable personalities in this world) gather in group and serve through their mind, speech and body.
- sindhai magizh thiruvARanviLai – The divine abode which will turn anyone entering there to be come perfectly blissful. It appears to be the “prApya bhUmi” (ultimate destination). It can be enquired from sarvESvaran who has arrived and is residing in thiruvARanviLai.
When asked “since when do you have this clarity?” AzhwAr says,
- thIrththanukku aRRa pin – Since the day when emperumAn manifested his great enjoyability, eliminated my attachment towards all other aspects and made me exist exclusively for him; from the day he uplifted me; [before that special mercy of emperumAn fell upon me] since time immemorial, I was suffering in this material realm.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://granthams.koyil.org
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
SrIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org