SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Full series >> Seventh Centum >> Third decad
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the tenth pAsuram, when parAnguSa nAyaki‘s friends say “would everyone not accuse you?” she says “Am I not searching for them as well?”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, parAnguSa nAyaki says “makaranedunguzhaikkAdhan, who is the eliminator of enemies of his followers, residing in thenthiruppEreyil has stolen my heart long ago; I will myself go and search for the towns, countryside and regions where he resides; I have no shyness”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s introduction as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
nagaramum nAdum piRavum thErvEn nAN enakkillai en thOzhimIrgAL!
sigara maNi nedu mAda nIdu then thiruppEreyil vIRRirundha
makaranedunguzhaikAdhan mAyan nURRuvarai anRu manga nURRa
nigaril mugil vaNNan nEmiyAn en nenjam kavarndhenai UzhiyAnE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
enakku – for me
thOzhimIrgAL – in the name of friends, you are giving advice
sigaram – having peaks
maNi – having abundance of gemstones
nedu – tall
mAdam – having mansions
nIdu – present for long time
thenthiruppEreyil – in thenthiruppEreyil
vIRRirundha – mercifully seated
makaram – in the form of a fish
nedu – huge
kuzhai – having ornament
kAdhan – one who is having ears
mAyan – just as the beauty with the ornaments, one who has amazing activities
nURRuvarai – dhuryOdhana et al, who are the enemies of his followers
anRu – back then (during mahAbhAradha war)
manga – to be finished
nURRa – wove his magic
(due to that)
nigar il – matchless
mugil – like a dark cloud
vaNNan – having radiance in his form
nEmiyAn – one who is having the divine chakra (which is protective towards followers)
(manifesting this activity)
en nenjam – my heart
kavarndhu – stole
enai UzhiyAn – one who did long ago;
nagaramum – the town (where he resides)
nAdum – the region (which is along that town)
piRavum – other cities
thErvEn – will go and search;
nAN – shyness (which is apt for women, i.e. thinking “why am I doing this in the presence of these people who are blaming me?”)
enakku illai – I don’t have
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Oh friends who are staring to advice me! emperumAn who is having ears which are wearing huge ornament in the form of a fish and who is mercifully seated in thenthiruppEreyil which is present for a long time, having tall mansions with abundance of gemstones, and who has amazing activities just as the beauty with the ornaments, wove his magic and finished dhuryOdhana et al, who are the enemies of his followers, back then; he is having dark cloud like matchless radiance in his form and the divine chakra; he stole my heart long ago; I will go and search for him in the town, the region and other cities; I don’t have shyness.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
- nagaramum nAdum … – Friends ask her “Looking at your determination, the rural people, urban people and all others are accusing you”, she replies “Do I really seek emperumAn? No. I only seek the accusations of the town, region and cities” [It is their accusations which work like manure in providing nutrition to my love towards him – Refer to thiruvAimozhi 5.3.4 “Uravar kavvai eru vittu“].
- thErvEn – She is saying that she is searching. As you are not uniting me with him, and as he is not arriving himself, it is these people who throw accusations of speaking about me and him being together and they only sustain me; even thiruvaLLuvar said in thirukkuRaL “alar ezha Aruyir niRkum” (I will survive as the accusations keep coming). piRavum – all other places.
- nAN enakku illai – I am not having shyness just here; even after reaching there I won’t have shyness. That is, there is no shyness in parAnguSa nAyaki from the beginning.
- en thOzhi mIrgAL – It is unfortunate that I have to explain this to you!
- sigaram … – Mercifully seated in the huge thenthiruppEreyil which has tall mansions which are filled with gemstones and which appear as if peaks where brought and placed here.
- makara nedum kuzhaik kAdhan – One who is having ears which are decorated with makara shaped ornament. If some one becomes immersed in his limbs, can he/she be retrieved?
- mAyan – She is thinking about the radiance in his form and internal qualities, which have not been explicitly stated here.
- mAyan – His favouritism towards his followers.
- nURRuvarai anRu manga nURRa – One who destroys without leaving anyone remaining when he thinks to do so. One who wove his magic to destroy dhuryOdhana et al during the mahAbhAratha war.
- nigaril mugil vaNNan – His matchless physical beauty which appears like that of a dark cloud. With this – she is implying that his beauty is so hard to ignore that one cannot leave him even if it nurtures the enemies.
- nEmiyAn – One who is having the instruments to turn day into night, while destroying the enemies. He lifted his chakra and even chased bhIshma et al.
- nigaril mugil vaNNan – While he remained like lightning and thunder for dhuryOdhana et al, he was like soothing rain for pANdavas to eliminate their suffering.
When asked “When he is not thinking to eliminate your enemies and unite with you, could you not weave your magic at him to make him fall at your feet?” she says,
- en nenjam kavarndhu enai UzhiyAnE – How long can I survive after losing the instrument [my heart] to do that? How long has it been since he stole my heart showing his beautiful form and his being with weapons?
- enai UzhiyAnE – It has been many eons. How long has he been planning to steal my heart just as he planned to destroy dhuryOdhana et al?
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://granthams.koyil.org
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
SrIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org