SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Full series >> Second Centum >> Seventh decad
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr wants to explain the meaning for the name “nArAyaNa” which was cited in the previous pAsuram and mercifully explains emperumAn‘s partiality towards him.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
In the second pAsuram – AzhwAr speaks about the meaning of the term “nArAyaNa” which was cited [in the previous pAsuram].
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s introduction as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
Second pAsuram. The name “nArAyaNa” became the subject matter as cited in “nArAyaNAnAlE” – here AzhwAr ventures into mercifully explaining its meaning.
நாரணன் முழு ஏழ் உலகுக்கும் நாதன் வேத மயன்
காரணம் கிரிசை கருமம் இவை முதல்வன் எந்தை
சீர் அணங்கு அமரர் பிறர் பலரும் தொழுது ஏத்த நின்று
வாரணத்தை மருப்பு ஒசித்த பிரான் என் மாதவனே
nAraNan muzhu Ezh ulagukkum nAdhan vEdha mayan
kAraNam kirisai karumam ivai mudhalvan endhai
sIr aNangu amarar piRar palarum thozhudhu Eththa ninRu
vAraNaththai maruppu osiththa pirAn en mAdhavanE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
nAraNan – one who has the name nArAyaNa
the meaning of such term,
muzhu Ezh ulagukkum – for all worlds
nAdhan – being the swAmi (nAtha, lord)
vEdhamayan – he being revealed by vEdham (which primarily speaks about this name)
kAraNam – cause for kriyA (activity)
kirisai – kriyA, activity
karumam – kAryam, which is the result of such activity
ivai – for these
mudhalvan – being the prime cause
sIr – one who is having [auspicious] qualities
aNangu – divine
amarar – dhEvas (celestial beings)
piRar – rishis (sages), manushyas (humans) et al
palarum – all
thozhudhu – worshipping
Eththa – to be praised
ninRu – stood
vAraNaththai – elephant named kuvalyApIdam
maruppu – tusk
osiththa – broke
pirAn – being the most generous lord
en – revealing to me (that all these aspects which fall under the category of nAra (groups of eternal entities) are his wealth)
mAdhavan – krishNa who is Sriya:pathi (lord of SrI mahAlakshmi)
endhai – is my master who made me fully exist for him
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
emperumAn who has the name nArAyaNa which means he is the lord of all worlds and is the one who is being revealed by vEdham (which primarily speaks about this name); he is the cause for all activities; he is the activities themselves and he is the result of all such activities; he stood being worshipped and praised by the divine celestial beings, sages and humans; he appeared as krishNa, being the most generous lord, broke the tusk of the elephant named kuvalayApIdam; he revealed to me (that all these aspects which fall under the category of nAra (groups of eternal entities) are his wealth); he is krishNa, Sriya:pathi (lord of SrI mahAlakshmi), my master who made me fully exist for him.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
- nAraNan – when asked, what is the meaning of nAraNan [AzhwAr explains further] …
- muzhu Ezh ulagukkum nAdhan – He is the lord of all. What is the authority for that [How can we validate that]?
- vEdhamayan – through many statements such as nArAyANa sUktham “nArAyaNa parambrahma” (nArAyaNan is the supreme brahmam), he is explained as sarvaswAmi (lord of all) [in vEdham].
- kAraNam kirisai karumam ivai mudhalvan – In all the worlds, he is the controller for all causes [such as raw-materials – example: five great elements], results [the result of such causes – example: the universes] and activities related to such results [example: the activities of the residents of universes]. Also explained as the controller for kriyA sAdhanam [the three types of causes – nimiththa kAraNam (instrumental cause), upAdhAna kAraNam (raw-material cause) and sahAkArikA karaNam (ancillary cause)], kriyA [the activity that arises of such cause] and the kAryam [the result of such cause].
- endhai – my father
- sIraNangu – The divine lady named SrI mahAlakshmi – periya pirAttiyAr.
- sIraNangamarar … – Alternatively, sIraNangu is an adjective for amarar (nithyasUris – eternally free souls) – i.e., those nithyasUris who have divine qualities. Thus irrespective of being insignificant individuals of this material realm or nithyasUris who have auspicious qualities and divine nature, everyone accepts his supremacy and praises him; such emperumAn is the most generous person who broke the tusk of the elephant named kuvalayApIdam as explained in SrIvishNu purANam “… na samam yudhdhamithyAhu:… ” (this is not a fair battle between SrI rAma who is positioned on the ground and the rAkshasas who are positioned in their chariots).
- en mAdhavanE – the aspect of emperumAn [husband of SrI mahAlakshmi] which won him over me. AzhwAr is saying “SrIman nArAyaNan is my lord”.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://granthams.koyil.org
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
SrIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org