SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Full series >> Second Centum >> Fifth decad
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the ninth pAsuram – As AzhwAr was unable to speak about emperumAn, he completely stopped speaking; subsequently, out of desire (to speak about him), he calls everyone and starts engaging in a conversation with them.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr says “If you are able to speak about the unsurpassed sweet emperumAn, please do so”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
In the ninth pAsuram – AzhwAr who withdrew after deciding that he cannot speak about emperumAn, out of utmost desire calls everyone and starts speaking to them.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s introduction as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
Ninth pAsuram. AzhwAr will not stop speaking about him saying “I cannot”. He says to samsAris (worldly people) “Can you all together speak about my lord?” [Previously AzhwAr said no one can speak about emperumAn; now he is calling out again to see if there is some intelligent ones who may be capable of doing that].
சொல்லீர் என் அம்மானை என் ஆவி ஆவி தனை
எல்லை இல் சீர் என் கருமாணிக்கச் சுடரை
நல்ல அமுதம் பெறற்கு அரிய வீடும் ஆய்
அல்லி மலர் விரை ஒத்து ஆண் அல்லன் பெண் அலனே
solleer en ammAnai en Avi Avi thanai
ellai il sIr en karumANikkach chudarai
nalla amudham peRaRku ariya vIdum Ay
alli malar virai oththu AN allan peN allanE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
en – for me
ammAnai – being the lord
en Avi – for my soul
Avi thanai – being the soul
ellai il – boundless
sIr – having qualities such as saukumAryam (beauty) etc
en karumANikkach chudarai – one who allowed me to experience his blue emerald like form
solleer – speak (if it is possible to do so for all of you together)
when asked, the reason for being unable to speak about him,
nalla – being distinct (from worldly nectar)
amudham – eternally sweet nectar
even for great yOgis
peRaRku – to attain
ariya – difficult
vIdumAy – the controller of the eternal land (of paramapadham – spiritual realm)
alli malar – in water lily flower
virai oththu – most enjoyable like the fragrance
peN allan – like he is different from women (due to his being a man)
AN allan – he is different from all men other than himself (due to his being purushOththama – supreme man)
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Do so if you can speak about emperumAn who is my lord, who is the soul of my soul (paramAthmA – in-dwelling super soul), who is having boundless qualities such as beauty etc and who allowed me to experience his blue emerald like form; (when asked, the reason(s) for being unable to speak about him) he is eternally sweet nectar which is distinct from worldly nectar; he is the controller of paramapadham (spiritual realm) which is difficult to attain (even for great yOgis); he is most enjoyable like the fragrance in water lily flower; just as he is different from women (due to his being a man), he is also different from all men other than himself (due to his being purushOththama – supreme man) .
Hence it is to be understood that it is difficult to speak about him.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
- solleer en ammAnai – Oh ones who are able to enjoy worldly (lowly) pleasures and explain about that! Can you speak about him?
- en ammAnai – bhagavAn who manifested his divine qualities and activities and thus engaged me in proper servitude towards him.
- en Avi Avi thanai – one who is the antharAthmA (in-dwelling super soul) of my AthmA (soul).
- ellai … – Even if one can understand the limit of the qualities of his divine svarUpam (true nature) [such as gyAnam, Anandham etc], one can never understand the limit of the qualities of his divine vigraham (form) [such as saukumAryam etc]. Also explained as AzhwAr saying “emperumAn who allowed me to experience his unlimited auspicious qualities of the divine svarUpam (true nature) and his cool divine blue emerald like beautiful form”.
- nalla amudham – eternal and most enjoyable nectar. Also explained as best among available nectar.
- peRaRku ariya vIdumAy – being the mOksha purushArtham (liberation – the fourth goal desired by AthmAs [dharma (righteousness), artha (wealth); kAma (enjoyment) and mOksha (liberation) are the four goals desired by AthmA].
- alli malar virai oththu – For his sweetness, he is comparable to the fragrance of the water lily flower.
- AN allan peN allan – Not like any other man. Just like he is unlike any other woman, he is also unlike any other man. This indicates that he cannot be compared to any one.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://granthams.koyil.org
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
SrIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org