srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In seventh pAsuram – AzhwAr says that for those who are devoted to him, if a day feels like an ocean due to their great desire in seeing him and being unable to spend the time, they should think about srI rAma’s brave history and worship his lotus feet with their head. It is also explained as – meditate upon srI rAma who is dhasartha’s son and who is the destroyer of the enemies of the devotees and be free from grief.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
Seventh pAsuram – When asked “You told he is infinitely enjoyable; But until we reach him, how would we spend our time? “, AzhwAr replies “that is what manaththukkiniyAn’s (srI rAma, who is dear to my heart) [thiruppAvai 12] auspicious qualities are there for”.
நீள் கடல் சூழ் இலங்கைக் கோன்
தோள்கள் தலை துணிசெய்தான்
தாள்கள் தலையில் வணங்கி
nIL kadal sUzh ilangaik kOn
thOLgaL thalai thuNi seydhAn
thALgaL thalaiyil vaNangi
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
nIL – broad
kadal – by the ocean
sUzh – surrounded
ilangai – for lankA
kOn – leader whose
thOLgaL – 20 shoulders
thalai – 10 heads
thuNi seydhAn – one who destroyed
thALgaL – divine feet (which entered the battle-field)
thalaiyil vaNangi – worship by bowing by head
nAL kadalai – the ocean of time
kazhimin – spend
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Spend the time which is as long as the ocean, by bowing down your head at the divine feet of srI rAma who destroyed the 20 shoulders and 10 heads of the leader of lankA, which is surrounded by the broad ocean.
Just like bhagavAn destroyed the 10 heads of rAvaNa, he will also destroy our attachment to the 10 senses (5 karma indhriyams and 5 gyAna indhiryams) which are the hurdles in spending our time meaningfully.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- nIL kadal sUzh ilangaik kOn – Due to having the ocean as a moat and due to that, as a protective layer for lankA, rAvaNa considered himself as great and out of his ego, he ignored the greatness of srI rAma and fought with him like an imbecile.
- thOLgaL thalai thuNi seydhAn – srI rAma casually destroyed the shoulders and heads of rAvaNa like a sport instead of doing it with vengeance etc.
Like thiruvadi (hanumAn) who always meditates upon srI rAma’s acts of valour.
- nAL kadalaik kazhiminE – two explanations:
- If we think about his most enjoyable nature, the time between now and when we reach him looks like a lengthy ocean. In such case, spend the time thinking about the valour of srI rAma.
- Approach srI rAma (who is the son of dhasaratha chakravarthy) and remove the ocean of samsAram (here nAL is explained as time in samsAram [material realm]).
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org