SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
poruL enRu ivvulagam padaiththavan pugazh mEl
maruLil vaN kurugUr vaN SatakOpan
theruL koLLach chonna OrAyiraththuL ippaththu
aruL udaiyavan thAL aNaivikkum mudiththE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
poruL – result (to have friendship of his devotees)
enRu – as
i – indha – this
ulagam – lOkam – world
padaiththavan – one who created
pugazh mEl – on the qualities (such as dhayA (mercy), kshamA (patience), audhArya (generosity) etc)
maruL il – being devoid of ignorance
vaN – distinct/beautiful
kurugUr – being the leader of AzhwArthirunagari
vaN – being most generous
SatakOpan – nammAzhwAr
theruL – true knowledge
koLLa – (for the jIvAthmAs to) accept
sonna – mercifully explained
Or – distinct
AyiraththuL – among the thousand pAsurams
ippaththum – this decad
mudiththu – will eradicate samsAram (bondage in this material realm)
aruL udaiyavan – azhagar emperumAn who is completely merciful
thAL – divine feet
aNaivikkum – will enable reaching that
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
The most generous nammAzhwAr who is the leader of the distinct/beautiful AzhwArthirunagari, being devoid of ignorance, mercifully explained the true knowledge to the jIvAthmAs, in this decad which is among the distinct thousand pAsurams, glorifying the qualities (such as dhayA (mercy), kshamA (patience), audhArya (generosity) etc) of emperumAn who created this world to have the result (of getting the friendship of his devotees); such decad itself will eradicate samsAram (bondage in this material realm) and enable reaching the divine feet of azhagar emperumAn who is completely merciful.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- poruL … – This decad was mercifully sung by AzhwAr who doesn’t have even a trace of ignorance, in the matter of the auspicious qualities of emperumAn who created the universes thinking that it will be of use [i.e., the people of these universes will try to learn the truth and reach him]. emperumAn, after creating the universes and bestowing body/senses to the jIvAthmAs, if they become attached to worldly pleasures and go astray, instead of thinking “my goal is not accomplished” and stop doing it, he will repeatedly do this creation [creation, sustenance and annihilation] thinking “if not today, some day, some one will reach me”;
- maruL il … – Since AzhwAr was bestowed pristine knowledge/devotion by bhagavAn himself, he would have no confusion about the auspicious qualities of bhagavAn.
And the prabandham is,
- theruL koLLach chonna OrAyiram – For AzhwAr, there was ignorance [in infinite number of previous lives] and it was eliminated [by bhagavAn in this life]; but for those who learn AzhwAr’s prabandham, their ignorance will be immediately eliminated and they will acquire pure knowledge. ISwara is the source for his knowledge; he is the source for our knowledge.
What does the prabandham do?
- aruL udaiyavan … – bhagavAn is identified by his mercy [that is the unique differentiating factor for him from others]. This decad will unite the jIvAthmAs with the divine feet of the one who is filled with mercy.
While doing so,
- mudiththE – It will eradicate the bondage in this samsAram (material realm) with its impressions (any trace of subconscious attachment) and unite them with the divine feet of emperumAn. It is not just a tool to instill knowledge, it will literally be in action, uniting us with the divine feet of emperumAn.
Finally, nampiLLai summarizes the contents of this decad briefly.
- In the first pAsuram, AzhwAr said “quickly take shelter of thirumalai (divine hill)”.
- In the second pAsuram, he said “take shelter of the dhivyadhESam attached to the divine hill”.
- In the third pAsuram, he said “even the neighbouring hill of the thirumalai is sufficient [for our upliftment]”.
- In the fourth pAsuram, he instructed us to take shelter of thirumalai again as done in kaNNinuN chiRuth thAmbu 3 “thirithanthAgilum” (even if done again).
- In the fifth pAsuram, he said “take shelter of the outer hill around the thirumalai”.
- In the sixth pAsuram, he said “it is sufficient to think about the path that leads to thirumalai”.
- In the seventh pAsuram, he instructed us to take shelter of the hill that is attached to the path that leads to thirumalai.
- In the eighth pAsuram, he said “thirumalai is the ultimate goal since it is the goal for nithyasUris too”.
- In the ninth pAsuram, he insisted that the firm belief in “We will worship thirumalai” is required.
- In the tenth pAsuram, he concluded that taking shelter of thirumalai is the goal with respect to all aspects.
- In the end, AzhwAr mercifully explained the result for those who learn this decad.
nampiLLai also briefly summarizes each decad of this centum in the end.
- In the first decad, AzhwAr said that since emperumAn is most distinct/beautiful as said in thiruvAimozhi 1.10.11 “maNiyai vAnavar kaNNAnaith thannadhOr aNiyai“, he will make those who are separated from him to crave for him.
- In the second decad, he said “Even when united with him, he will make others fully forget about everything else”.
- In the third decad, he said “emperumAn with whom he united is greatly joyful”.
- In the fourth decad, he became bewildered since he did not unite and enjoy emperumAn with those great leaders (nithyasUris) who are experts in emperumAn’s aspects.
- In the fifth decad, he explained emperumAn uniting with him as he desired.
- In the sixth decad, he said “emperumAn would doubt unnecessarily that AzhwAr may leave”.
- In the seventh decad, he explained how emperumAn pursued those who are related to AzhwAr and his relatives.
- In the eighth decad, he explained emperumAn‘s mOksha pradhathvam (ability to bestow liberation).
- In the ninth decad, he established the goal clearly.
- In the tenth decad, he advised everyone to take shelter of thirumalai (the divine hill of thirumAlirunchOlai) to acquire the goal established previously.
AzhwAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
emperumAnAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
piLLAn thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nanjIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nampiLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
periyavAchchAn piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
In the next article we will enjoy the next centum.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org