srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
Full series >> First Centum >> Ninth decad
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the ninth pAsuram – AzhwAr says “emperumAn who is the creator of all, arrived on my forehead”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr says “Even while shining in my eyes, he who is the creator of all, became seated in the middle of my forehead”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
In the ninth pAsuram – AzhwAr says “emperumAn who created everything by a fraction (small portion) of his will, became seated in one of my body parts (forehead) and sustained himself”.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s introduction as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
Ninth pAsuram – AzhwAr says “After feeling satisfied with being present in the eyes, emperumAn arrived at my forehead”.
கமலக் கண்ணன் என் கண்ணின் உள்ளான் காண்பன் அவன் கண்களாலே
அமலங்கள் ஆக விழிக்கும் ஐம் புலனும் அவன் மூர்த்தி
கமலத்து அயன் நம்பி தன்னைக் கண்ணுதலானொடும் தோற்றி
அமலத் தெய்வத்தொடு உலகம் ஆக்கி என் நெற்றி உளானே
kamalak kaNNan en kaNNin uLLAn kANbavan avan kaNgaLAlE
amalangaL Aga vizhikkum aim pulanum avan mUrththi
kamalaththu ayan nambi thannaik kaNNudhalAnOdum thORRi
amalath theyvaththOdu ulagam Akki en neRRi uLLAnE
kamalak kaNNan – one who is lotus-eyed
en kaNNin uLLAn – becomes the object of my vision
kANban – (With that, after eliminating the state of “na chakshushA pasyathi” (cannot be seen by the eyes),) I saw him
avan – (that is because) that lotus-eyed emperumAn
than kaNgaLAlE – with his eyes
amalangaLAga – eliminating the dirt such as ignorance etc
vizhikkum – glance at me
aim pulanum – (with that,) eyes and all other senses (totally five – eyes, ears nose, skin, tongue)
avan mUrththi – became forms of his (he is the substratum) and his servitors
kamalaththu – (Who is the one who did this to me?) being born in lotus flower
ayan – brahmA who is known as aja
nambi thannai – Being complete to fulfil his tasks such as creation etc
kaN nudhalAnOdum – along with visibly powerful rudhra due to having the third eye in his forehead
thORRi – creating them
amalam – (starting with them) having abundant goodness
theyvaththOdu – along with the dhEvathAs
ulagam – universes
Akki – one who naturally creates
en – (preserving these qualities,) in one of my body parts
neRRi uLAn – became placed in my forehead
emperumAn who is lotus-eyed, became visible to me and I saw him because he glanced at me mercifully eliminating my ignorance, etc and thus my senses became subservient to him. This is the same emperumAn who is the creator of the most complete brahmA who is born in the lotus flower (from the navel of bhagavAn), the most capable rudhra who has the third eye, many other dhEvathAs who are filled with goodness and the universes. With all these qualities, he became seated in my forehead.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
- kamalak kaNNan en kaNNin uLLAn – puNdarikAkshan (lotus-eyed lord) became visible to my eyes. This destroys the view point of bruhadhAraNyaka upanishath 4.6.62 “na chakshushA gruhyathE” (not graspable by eyes).
When he manifested his form to your eyes, what did you do?
- kANban – I saw and enjoyed that.
How were you able to see and enjoy his form?
- avan kaNgaLAlE amangaLAga vizhikkum – He mercifully glanced over me with his divine eyes and removed my blemishes (which are obstacles to see him) and facilitated me to see him.
But don’t your senses stop you from seeing him (being attached to worldly pleasures)?
- aim pulanum avan mUrththi – Even those senses became completely subservient to him like a body to the soul.
- kamalaththu ayan … – brahmA who was born directly from the navel of emperumAn, one who is having such distinct birth from all others (generally everyone is born from a woman), one never goes back to emperumAn with any doubts etc., while creating other beings, created rudhra who has the third eye in his forehead, other dhEvathAs with abundance of goodness and other universes. “Akki” indicates that emperumAn is the natural creator of all.
- en neRRi uLAnE – He created the universe according to the karma and let it take care of itself. But he arrived at my forehead, without any expectation to stay here permanently.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org