SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Highlights from avathArikai (Introduction)
No specific introduction.
uLanganindhirukkum unnaiyE pidhaRRum
unakkanRi enakku anbonRu ilaLAl
vaLangani pozhil sUzh mAlirunjOlai
mAyanE! enRu vAy veruvum
kaLangani muRuval kArigai peridhu
kavalaiyOdu avalam sErndhirundha
iLangani ivaLukku en ninaindhirundhAy?*
idavendhai endhai pirAnE!
(Since this girl is always thinking about you)
uLam kanindhu irukkum – She has a contented heart; (while speaking)
unnaiyE – You who are the object of her union
pidhaRRum – incoherently speaking;
unakkanRi – other than in your matter
enakku – in my matter, where I have longed forever to give birth to her
onRu – even a little
anbilaL – not having any love;
vaLam – very sweet
kani – having fruits
pozhil – by gardens
sUzh – surrounded
mAlirunjOlai – one who is mercifully residing in thirumAlirunjOlai
mAyanE enRu – saying “Oh one who is having amazing ability!”
vAy veruvum – she is blabbering;
kaLam kani – sweet like kaLam fruit
muRuval – smile
kArigai – having beauty
peridhu kavalaiyOdu – with great sorrow in heart
avalam sErndhirundha – being with paleness
iLam kanni – young girl
ivaLukku – in her matter
en ninaindhirundhAy – what are you thinking?
idavendhai – having arrived in thiruvidavendhai
endhai pirAnE – Oh lord of my clan!
sollu – You should mercifully speak a word.
My daughter has a contented heart; she is incoherently speaking about you who are the object of her union; other than your matter, she is not even having a little bit of love for me who has longed forever to give birth to her; she is blabbering saying “Oh one who is having amazing ability and who is mercifully residing in thirumAlirunjOlai surrounded by gardens having very sweet fruits!” Oh lord of my clan! What are you thinking in the matter of this young girl who is having sweet smile and beauty like the kaLam fruit, and has great sorrow in heart and paleness? You should mercifully speak a word.
Highlights from vyAkyAnam (Commentary)
uLam kanindhu irukkum – Heart will be matured and will not reveal what is being thought in it. Heart being well matured is when emperumAn who should enjoy does not do so, being helpless.
unnaiyE pidhaRRum – Until she started speaking, the divine mother thought “This is based on mutual love”. As said in mahAbhAratham SAnthi parvam 200 “jAmadhagnyasya jalpatha:” (I have heard paraSurAma, son of jamadhagni, speaking incoherently), she is speaking incoherently while you don’t care for her. Had there been mutual love, then her speech would also be coherent.
unakku … – She cut off her desire “Will she not speak about me once?” She only has attachment towards her friends who made her become totally dependent on him, or towards him.
vaLam … – She will relentlessly speak about his efforts which lead to such great love towards him. She thinks about emperumAn’s amazing qualities and activities of presenting himself to mlEchchas (those who are outside the varNa system) in thirumAlirunjOlai which is looked down upon by Aryas (noble people), which is surrounded by garden having abundant fruits, and is speaking unconsciously by her impressions (on him) being her teacher inducing her to speak.
vAy veruvum – As said in SrI rAmAyaNam sundhara kANdam 32.11 “vichinthyA vAchA bruvathi thamEva” (Since I am pondering with my mind about that SrI rAma only, and always saying “SrI rAma! SrI rAma!”) – first she was meditating, subsequently she could not even do it and was just repeating based on previous impressions.
kaLangani muRuval – Son! Who [parakAla nAyaki] is relentlessly speaking what should be spoken by whom [bhagavAn]? SrI rAma would relentlessly speak about sIthAp pirAtti as said in SrI rAmAyaNam AraNya kANdam 64.78 “sIthEva chArudhathIm” (sIthA who is having a smiling face). Just as the heart of sIthAp pirAtti, who desired to win over SrI rAma, was appearing in a well matured manner, parakAla nAyaki’s smile is very pleasing. SrI rAmAyaNam AraNya kANdam 63.12 beautifully explains how SrI rAma was won over by sIthAp pirAtti’s smile. “asmin mayA sArdham udhAraSeelA SeelAthalE pUrvam upOpavishtA | kAnthasmithA lakshmaNa jAthahAsA thvAmAha sIthA bahuvAkya jAtham ||”
- asmin – Along with iLAiya perumAL, perumAL was searching for pirAtti while they were separated from her; at that time, as they came across a spot where perumAL would play water games with pirAtti, perumAL saw that spot and mercifully spoke to iLaiya perumAL.
- asmin – Previously I had great enjoyment where we are suffering in separation today,
- mayA sArdham – In loving affairs, perumAL has great regards on self. But even I had to remain like a spectator [kANa vandha chOzhar – those kings who would come and witness events], on seeing her expertise in romance and her loving interactions.
- udhAra SeelA – While living in the capital city, due to being shy in front of mother-in-law and father-in-law, the enjoyment will be limited; but here being a secluded place, since there is no such restriction, she was offering herself fully to me.
- SilAthalE pUrvam – There was a rock where they would play water games; while getting tired, perumAL was trying to climb there first, and as said in “prEkshithagyAsthu kOsalA:” (Residents of kOsala town will understand the mind from one’s glance), since she also has that skill [being related to kOsala clan], she understood perumAL’s intent from his action and climbed that same rock ahead of him, and stayed there filling the place, to make him tired.
- upOpavishtA – Similarly, whatever perumAL was trying to do, she would do before him and make him tired.
- kAnthasmithA – Normally, she will attract anyone; the face looks great with the smile. Further, she was having a laughter to indicate her recent victory.
- thvAmAha – Previously, perumAL would never leave a job unfinished; this is the only place where he could not become victorious; due to that he hung his head in shame; she left perumAL and looked at the face of iLaiya perumAL who greatly praises perumAL and mercifully spoke cheerfully in many ways “See brother! You have accomplished whatever you have thought about; you are very strong men; we are women; you go for hunting and war; we have never left our homes; you can do whatever you want; see your brother has won”.
kArigai – One who has natural femininity.
peridhu … – kavalai – mental suffering; avalam – physical suffering; kavalai – instability in heart; avalam – not caring for physical appearance.
iLangani – She is younger than the divine daughter of SrI janakarAjan for whom you went and broke the above. She cannot sustain herself in separation from you as she did as said in SrIrAmAyaNam sundhara kANdam 33.17 “samA dhvAdhaSa thathrAham” (I enjoyed for twelve years). If she is very young, only if she had enjoyed the union previously, she could suffer in separation like this; did she have such union? Yes. She had natural union (through gAndharva vivAham – a type of marriage where man and woman would secretly marry on their own without any rituals) and her mother would not know about it.
en … – As you waited in the surrounding garden of SrI mithilA to marry the divine daughter of SrI janakarAja, you are waiting in thiruvidavendhai; hence what are you thinking in her matter?
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org