SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Highlights from avathArikai (Introduction)
AzhwAr is speaking about destruction of sUrpaNakA which happened even before destruction of kara et al.
aduththArththezhundhAL pilavAy vittalaRa avaL mUkku ayil vALAl
viduththAn viLangu sudar Azhi viNNOr perumAn naNNArmun
kaduththArththu ezhundha perumazhaiyaik kallonRu Endhi inaniraikkAth
thaduththAn thadam sUzhndhu azhagAya sALakkirAmam adainenjE!
aduththu – approached
Arththu – making noise
ezhundhAL – sUrpaNakA who came with zeal
pilam – like a cave
vAy vittu – opening her mouth
alaRa – to cry out
avaL – her
mUkku – nose
ayil – sharp
vALAl – with a sword
viduththAn – one who severed (with the help of iLaiya perumAL)
viLangu – very shining
sudar – have radiance
Azhi – one who is having thiruvAzhi (divine chakra)
viNNOr – for nithyasUris
perumAn – being the lord
kaduththu – with great speed
Arththu- making an uproarious sound
ezhundha – appeared
peru mazhaiyai – great rain
naNNAr mun – in front of indhra et al who opposed
inam – herd
niraikkA – to protect the cows
kal onRu – mountain named gOvardhan
Endhi – held
thaduththAn – stopped, the abode where he is eternally residing
thadam sUzhndhu – surrounded by ponds
azhagAya – beautiful
sALakkirAmam adai nenjE – Oh mind! Reach such SrI sALagrAmam.
emperumAn severed the sharp nose of sUrpaNakA who approached making noise and came with zeal, opening her cave like mouth, with a sword, to make her cry out. The lord of nithyasUris who is having the radiant thiruvAzhi which is very shining, held the mountain named gOvardhan and stopped the great rain which was appearing with great speed and noise, in front of indhra et al who opposed, to protect the herd of cows. Such sarvESvaran is eternally residing in the beautiful SrI sALagrAmam which is surrounded by ponds. Oh mind! Reach such SrI sALagrAmam.
Highlights from vyAkyAnam (Commentary)
- aduththu – Pursued eagerly.
- Arththu ezhundhAL – Making noise, she came zealously, calling out; her nose.
- ayil – Sharp. He [through iLaiya perumAL) pulled out the divine dagger and severed her nose.
- viLAngu … – By manifesting the beautiful combination of his hand and divine chakra, he conducts the life of nithyasUris.
- naNNAr … – In front of the enemies. As the great rain was triggered by indhra’s intent, it poured down heavily with great force. He stopped such rain by holding the gOvardhana mountain to protect the cows which can neither realise the favour done by emperumAn nor have any means to protect themselves.
- thadam … – He is residing in the beautiful SrI sALagrAmam which is surrounded by ponds.[Oh mind! Try to reach there]
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org