SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
manjulAm sOlai vaNdaRai mAnIr
mangaiyAr vAL kalikanRi
senjolAl eduththa dheyva nal mAlai
ivaikoNdu chikkenath thoNdIr!
thunjumbOdhu azhaimin thuyarvaril ninaimin
thuyarileer sollilum nanRAm
nanjudhAn kaNdIr nammudai vinaikku
nArAyaNA ennum nAmam
manju – clouds
ulAm – moving around
sOlai – garden
vaNdu – beetles
aRai – humming
mA nIr – have abundant water
mangaiyAr – protection for the residents of thirumangai region
vAL – having sword
kalikanRi – AzhwAr who eliminated the defects of kali
sem solAl – with beautiful words
eduththa – mercifully spoken to be known by all
dheyvam – divine
nal – distinguished
mAlai – garland of words
ivai koNdu – with this thirumozhi (decad)
thunjumbOdhu – at the end of the body
azhaimin – call out;
thuyar varil – when afflicted with sorrows
ninaimin – meditate upon this only;
thuyarileer – Oh you who have no sorrows
sollilum – even if you recited
nanRAm – will lead to goodness;
nArAyaNA ennum nAmam – the divine name, nArAyaNa
nammudai – our
vinaikku – for sins
nanjudhAn kaNdIr – is poison!
thirumangai AzhwAr, who eliminated the defects of kali and is having the sword as protection for the residents of thirumangai region which is having gardens where clouds are moving around, beetles are humming and is having abundant water, mercifully spoke these beautiful words to be known by all, in the form of a divine, distinguished garland of words. At the end of your body, you call out with this decad; when afflicted with sorrows, meditate upon this decad only; oh you who have no sorrows, even if you recited, this will lead to goodness; the divine name, nArAyaNa, is the poison (antidote) for our sins.
Highlights from vyAkyAnam (Commentary)
- manju ulAm sOlai – The garden which is tall to have clouds moving around inside it.
- vaNdu aRai – Humming beetles can be an adjective to the garden; or for the abundant water. Due to the tasty water, thamizh poets would praise the flowing rivers saying “Flies and beetles are swarming the water”.
- mangaiyAr vAL kalikanRi – Just as those who have realised their relationship will consider such bhagavAn’s strength as their own, those who are in thirumangai consider AzhwAr’s sword as their strength.
- sem solAl eduththa – The meanings which were explained in a way that only qualified persons can learn, in samskrutham and in unfamiliar words, are revealed in an easy/beautiful manner to be known by all.
- dheyva nal mAlai – Divine, garland of words, which are enjoyed by nithyasUris as said in thiruvAimozhi 10.6.11 “kEttArAr vAnavargaL” (nithyasUris will never satiate hearing thiruvAimozhi – would hear it repeatedly).
- ivai koNdu sikkenath thoNdIr thunjumbOdhu azhaimin – At the end of your body, without fearing to be controlled by yama, recite this divine name.
- thuyar varil ninaimin – Even when you are afflicted with sorrows here, recite this name only.
- thuyarileer sollilum nanRAm – The recital of divine name is done as svayam prayOjanam (no other expectation than recital itself) for those ananyaprayOjanar (those who have no expectation other than kainkaryam) who don’t care about such sorrows and would say “when we are in this world with a body, it is natural to be afflicted with sorrows”.
- nanjudhAn kaNdIr nammudai vinaikku – For our sins, this is the intolerable poison.
- nArAyaNA ennum nAmam – The divine name which is sweet for us as said in periya thiumozhi 6.10.6 “enakku enRum thEnum pAlum amudhumAya thirumAl thirunAmam nAnum sonnEn namarum uraimin namO nArAyaNamE” (The divine name of SrIman nArAyaNa is honey, milk and nectar for me always; as I have recited this name, all of you who are related to me should also recite this name ‘namO nArAyaNa‘). Other names will lead to deep rooted stay in samsAram (material world). Should everyone not understand that the meditation upon the meaning of this divine name itself will sever the ties with this samsAram?
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org