SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
In this pAsuram, mAmunigaL is following AzhwAr’s pAsurams of forcefully asking emperumAn “Why did you, who are accepting me now, not do so since time immemorial?” and emperumAn having no answer for that and is mercifully explaining it.
How is that done? AzhwAr asked emperumAn “What is the reason for causing adhvEsham (non-hatred) towards you to start with, causing friendliness towards you, creating the taste to surrender unto you, you being the means, causing love and paramabhakthi (ultimate stage of devotion) towards your divine feet, making me not to exist without you, being obedient towards me to follow my orders and holding me on your head?” emperumAn remained speechless without an answer and hung his head down (out of shyness). AzhwAr became pleased thinking “This must be nirhEthukam (unconditional/causeless [mercy])!” and thought about how emperumAn accepted him and emperumAn’s qualities such as mercy which are the cause for such acceptance and becomes blissful thinking “What an unconditional acceptance!” mAmunigaL mercifully explains this principle explained in “thirumAlirunjOlai malai” starting with “thirumAl thampAl“.
thirumAl thampAl viruppam seyginRa nEr kaNdu
arumAyaththanRagalvippAn en perumAl nI
inRenpAl seyvAnen enna idaruRRu ninRAn
thunnu pugazh mARanaith thAn sUzhndhu
thirumAl – SrIman nArAyaNan
thampAl – towards AzhwAr
viruppam seyginRa nEr kaNdu – seeing the great attachment
anRu arumAyaththu agalvippAnen – “Oh emperumAn! Why did you keep me in samsAram since time immemorial and push me away?
inRu – now
enpAl – towards me
nI perumAl seyvAn en – why are you showing great attachment?”
enna – as he asked
thunnu pugazh – having great glory
mARan – AzhwAr
thAn sUzhndhu – humbly
idar uRRu ninRAn – (being unable to answer that question) remained in grief.
Seeing the great attachment of SrIman nArAyaNa towards him, the greatly glorious AzhwAr asked emperumAn “Oh emperumAn! Why did you keep me in samsAram since time immemorial and push me away? Why are you showing great attachment towards me now?” empeumAn humbly remained in grief due to not having an answer for that question.
Highlights from vyAkyAnam
- thirumAl thanpAl viruppam seyginRa nEr kaNdu – AzhwAr, on seeing the great affection of Sriya:pathi towards self as said in SrI rAmAyaNam ayOdhyA kANdam 95.12 “adhikam puravAsAchcha manyE cha thava dharSanAth” (I consider seeing you and residing in this chithrakUtam is greater than residing in ayOdhyA); that is, emperumAn showed greatly increasing affection as said in,
- “thirumAl vandhu en nenju niRaiyap pugundhAn” (emperumAn who is Sriya:pathi and very complete, arrived in my heart and fully entered it) [1st pAsuram]
- “inRu vandhu pErEn enRu en nenju niRaiyap pugundhAn” (sarvESvaran came today saying “I will not leave” and entered my heart to make it very complete) [2nd pAsuram]
- “thiruppErAn adichchErvadhu enakku eLidhAyinavARE” (Seeing the easily approachable way for me for reaching the divine feet of the one who is easily approachable and is having thiruppEr which is surrounded by mansions and towers having flags, as his residence, I got to reach the same) [3rd pAsuram]
- “theLidhAgiya sEn visumbu tharuvAnE” (emperumAn is ready to bestow me parama vyOma which is higher and is radiant, due to its being filled with great goodness.) [4th pAsuram]
- “vAnE tharuvAn enakkA ennOdu otti UnEy kurambai idhanuL pugundhu inRu thAnE thadumARRa vinaigaL thavirththAn” (emperumAn who is residing in the beautiful city named thiruppEr which is having garden filled with beetles, vowing to bestow me paramapadham, taking oath with me, on his own, arrived and entered inside my body which is a skeleton filled with abundance of flesh, and eliminated puNya and pApa which are the reason for our perplexity) [5th pAsuram]
- “inRu vandhu iruppEn enRu en nenju niRaiyap pugundhan” (emperumAn arrived today vowing “let me stay here” and entered my heart to make it complete) [6th pAsuram]
- “uNdu kaLiththERku umbar en kuRai? mElaith thoNdu ugaLiththu andhi thozhum sollup peRREn vaNdu kaLikkum pozhil sUzh thiruppErAn kaNdu kaLippak kaNNuL ninRu agalAnE” (emperumAn who is residing in thiruppEr nagar surrounded by garden having joyful beetles, who is the object of my sight to cause bliss in me by constantly seeing him, is not leaving. What worry is there for me who enjoyed him eternally about the enjoyment in going further to a special abode of paramapadham? In the end, I got to say the word “nama:” which indicates worship/surrender, after acquiring great joy by the great servitude) [7th pAsuram]
- “karuththin kaN periyan” (he is great in the heart) [8th pAsuram]
- “thiNNam en manaththup pugundhAn seRindhinRE” (emperumAn entered my heart without any reason to remain firmly, here) [8th pAsuram]
Seeing such unconditional, great love,
- arumAyaththanRagalvippAn en perumAl nI inRenpAl seyvAnen enna – AzhwAr asked “Why did you place me all along, since time immemorial, in this unfathomable prakruthi (material realm) and push me away? Why are you, who are omniscient, omnipotent and opposite of all faults unconditionally showing boundless love towards me who is ignorant, lacking any ability and is filled with faults?” mAmunigaL is mercifully following AzhwAr’s words in “inRennaip poruL Akkith thannai ennuL vaiththAn anRu ennaip puRam pOgap puNarththadhu en seyvAn kunRennath thigazh mAdangaL sUzh thiruppErAn onRu enakkaruL seyya uNarththal uRREnE” (Now, emperumAn made me to be an entity and placed himself in my heart; previously, why did he have the vow to let me stay away by being engaged in worldly pleasures? I was focussed on making emperumAn who is in thiruppEr which is surrounded by shining mansions which are like hills, mercifully explain the reason for either one of the scenarios) [9th pAsuram]
In this manner, as AzhwAr corners emperumAn and asks the reason for abandoning him since time immemorial, emperumAn tried to give some answers. Yet, since AzhwAr is known as nAvIRudaiya pirAn (great orator), he made emperumAn speechless without any further answer.
- enna idar uRRu ninRAn – As AzhwAr keeps asking emperumAn, emperumAn hung his head and started drawing lines with his toe, without having anything to say. idar – anguish of being stunned and not being able to respond.
- thunnu pugazh mARanaith thAn sUzhndhu – AzhwAr becomes blissful saying “this is his unconditional grace!” and is having great fame due to that. emperumAn surrounded such AzhwAr just as the fame and remained in bewildered state. mAmunigaL becomes immersed in emotion thinking “Even the omniscient lord is having no answer in front of AzhwAr!”
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org