SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
How is that done? Previously, AzhwAr along with the group of his senses, greatly craved to enjoy emperumAn thinking “I should enjoy emperumAn being with abundant auspicious qualities such as Seelam, being together with SrI mahAlakshmi who is the cause for such qualities, having the two AzhwArs (Sankha and chakra) on either side, to add to his beauty”. emperumAn made AzhwAr experience those qualities by manifesting in AzhwAr’s heart, just as he manifested from inside the pillar for the sake of the child (SrI prahlAdha). AzhwAr became joyful experiencing the same. mAmunigaL mercifully explains this principle explained in “maiyAr karungaNNi” starting with “maiyAr kaN mA mArbil mannum“.
maiyAr kaN mA mArbil mannum thirumAlai
kai Azhi sangudanE kANa eNNi meyyAna
kAdhaludan kUppittuk kaNdugandha mARan pEr
Odha uyyumE innuyir
mai Ar kaN mA – periya pirAttiyAr who has eyes which are decorated with black-pigment
mArbil mannum – one who is permanently residing on the divine chest
thirumAlai – Sriya:pathi (lord of SrI mahAlakshmi)
kai Azhi sangudanE – with the thiruvAzhi (divine chakra, disc) and thiruchchangu (divine Sankha, conch), which fill his divine hands
kANa eNNi – considering to see
mey Ana – real
kAdhaludan – with desire
kUppittu – called out
kaNdu – saw as desired
ugandha – became joyful
mARan pEr – the divine names of AzhwAr
Odha – as recited
in uyir – distinguished AthmA
uyyum – will be uplifted
AzhwAr called out with real desire, considering to see Sriya:pathi who has periya pirAttiyAr having eyes which are decorated with black-pigment, permanently residing on his divine chest, and who has the thiruvAzhi (divine chakra, disc) and thiruchchangu (divine Sankha, conch), which fill his divine hands. Having seen as desired, AzhwAr became joyful. As the divine names of such AzhwAr are recited, the distinguished AthmA will be uplifted.
Highlights from vyAkyAnam
- maiyAr kaN mA mArbil mannum thirumAlai – sarvESvaran, who is having lakshmi, who is known as asithEkshaNA, eternally residing on his divine chest and is hence known as Sriya:pathi.
- kai Azhi sangudanE kANa eNNi – Considered to see the AzhwArs (Sankha and chakra) who can protect and nurture such divine couple. mAmunigaL mercifully follows AzhwAr’s first pAsuram “maiyAr karungaNNi … unnaik kANak karudhum en kaNNE” (lakshmi who is having divine eyes which are naturally dark to be said as in “asithEkshaNA” and are decorated with black pigment, who is residing on a lotus flower and is having reddish complexion, is united in your beautiful divine chest; you show great affection towards her; oh one who is having divine hands carrying the very cruel, fiery divine chakra and SrI pAnchajanyam which is having circular marks! My eyes are desiring to see you constantly). AzhwAr desired as said in SrI rAmAyaNam AraNya kANdam 1.14 “vaidhEhim lakshmaNam rAmam nEthrairanimishairiva” (The forest-dwellers saw sIthAp pirAtti, lakshmaNa and SrI rAma without winking their eyes) and SrI rAmAyaNam kishkindhA kANdam 19.25 “avashtabya cha thishtantham dhadharSa dhanurUrjitham | rAmAm rAmAnujam chaiva barthuSchaivAnujam SubhA” (thArA [vAli’s wife] saw SrI rAma who was standing majestically holding the bow, along with lakshmaNa and sugrIva).
- meyyAna kAdhaludan kUppittuk kaNdugandha – Called out with real love and saw as desired; that is, AzhwAr revealed that in,
- “kaNNE! unnaik kANak karudhi ennenjam eNNE koNda sindhaiyadhAy ninRiyambum viNNOr munivarkkenRum kANbariyAyai nANNAdhozhiyEn enRu nAn azhaippanE” (Oh my vision! My heart will cry out only considering to see you and enjoy you, desiring in many ways. I will call up being determined and say “I will not give up before attaining you, who are always difficult to be seen by brahmA et al and sanaka et al”) [2nd pAsuram]
- “ugandhE unnai uLlum en uLLaththu agampAl agandhAn amarndhE idangoNda amalA! migundhAnavan mArvagalam iru kURA nagandhAy narasingam adhAya uruvE” (You remained luminous in my heart fitting well and considering it as your abode. Oh one who has the form of narasimha who made your nail to jump in the vast space of the chest of hiraNya, the asura who has very strong boons and arms, and tore it to become two parts! My heart being pleased with you, enjoyed you inside) [7th pAsuram]
- “dhEvargatkellAm karuvAgiya kaNNanaik kaNdu koNdEnE” (he is the antharAthmA for all entities, the primordial lord and the origin for everyone including dhEvas such as brahmA et al; I saw and enjoyed such emperumAn who incarnated as krishNa to protect the devotees) [8th pAsuram]
- “kaNdu koNdu en kaNNiNai Arak kaLiththu paNdai vinai Ayina paRROdaRuththu thoNdarkkamudhuNNach chol mAlaigaL sonnEn aNdaththamarar perumAn adiyEnE” (I saw and felt joyful to have my pair of eyes to be fully satisfied; all my ancient hurdles such as ahankAra, mamakAra etc with the trace, were eliminated; I did vAchika kainkarayam in the form of a garland of words for the joyful experience of the servitors of the apt lord who is the leader of nithyasUris in paramapadham) [9th pAsuram]
- “ulagamaLandha adiyAnai adaindhu adiyEn uyndhavARE!” (he measured and accepted the world to eliminate the shortcoming of being claimed by others, with his divine feet which reveal the eternal relationship; I who have the nature of servitude, which is displayed, reached such divine feet and got uplifted!) [10th pAsuram]
- mARan pEr Odha uyyumE innuyir – The distinguished AthmA will be uplifted as the divine names of AzhwAr, who has devotion towards bhagavAn, are recited.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org