SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
How is that done? With anguish in thiruvAimozhi 6.7 “uNNum sORu“, AzhwAr set out towards thirukkOLUr with great urge thinking “I should enjoy the divine eyes and reddish mouth of vaiththamAnidhi, who is thirumAl (SrIman nArAyaNa)”, but could not reach fully and resulted in “enganE pugungol” (How can I enter?), fell down and felt deep sorrow. AzhwAr requested the gatakas (those who connect) who were near him to inform his such state to emperumAn who is present in paramapadha etc and is mercifully explaining it in the form of dhUthaprEkshaNa (sending messenger). mAmunigaL mercifully explains this principle explained in “ponnulagu ALIrO” starting with “ponnulagu“.
ponnulagu bUmi ellAm puLLinangatkE vazhangi
ennidarai mAlukkiyambumena – mannu thiru
nAdha mudhal thUdhu nalgividumARanaiyE
nIdulagIr pOy vaNangum nIr
pon ulagu – nithya vibhUthi (paramapadham)
bUmi – leelA vibhUthi (samsAram)
ellAm – all of these
puL inangatkE vazhangi – giving to the flock of birds
en idarai – “my sorrow
mAlukku – to emperumAn
iyambum ena – inform”, saying this
mannu thirunAdu mudhal – to places like eternal SrIvaikuNtam
thUdhu nalgi vidum – desirously sent message
mARanaiyE – AzhwAr only
nIdu ulagIr – Oh residents of the vast world!
nIr pOy vaNangum – You go and worship.
Giving all of nithya vibhUthi and leelA vibhUthi to the flock of birds and saying “Inform my sorrow to emperumAn”, AzhwAr desirously sent message to places like eternal SrIvaikuNtam. Oh residents of the vast world! You go and worship such AzhwAr only.
Highlights from vyAkyAnam
- pon ulagu bUmi ellAm puLLinangatkE vazhangi – mAmunigaL mercifully indicates the whole of the first pAsuram.
- pon ulagu bUmi ellAm – As said in SrI rAmAyaNam AraNya kANdam 68.30 “gachcha lOkAn anuththamAn” (you shall reach the highest abode), the whole of nithya vibhUthi and leelA vibhUthi.
- puL inangatkE vazhangi – Granting to the flocks of birds which have wings, for his own protection. Since he is “vaNsatakOpan” (magnanimous SatakOpa), he is able to grant purushArthams (results) such as mOksham etc.
- vazhangi en idarai mAlukku iyambum ena – Bestowing nithya vibhUthi and leelA vibhUthi as a favour, AzhwAr requested the birds to inform his care towards sarvESvaran in separation. en idarai – en dhukkaththai (my sorrow). That is, as said in “en nilaimai” (my state) [1st pAsuram], “mey amar kAdhal” (my great desire to enjoy in abundance with his divine form) [2nd pAsuram], “pAsaRaveydhi” (losing my complexion) [8th pAsuram], “pErththu maRROr kaLaigaN vinaiyAttiyEn nAn onRilEn” (I who am having sin, not having any other saviour than you, the unique ones) [9th pAsuram] and “innavARivaL kANmin” (See her state which is in this manner) [10 pAsuram].
- en idarai mAlukku iyambum ena – That is, mercifully spoken by AzhwAr in,
- “en nalangoNda pirAn thanakku en nilaimai uraiththE” (inform my state to the benefactor who created all worlds in the beginning, who is having divine black cloud like form, who is easily approachable for his devotees and who took ownership of my distinguished features) [1st pAsuram]
- “mey amar kAdhal solli” (informing my great desire to enjoy in abundance with his divine form)
- “yAmidhuvO thakkavARu enna vENdum” (you tell him “Your highness! Should you manifest your supremacy like this? Is this befitting your merciful stature?”) [4th pAsuram]
- “enguch chenRAgilungaNdu idhuvO thakkavARu enminE” (You find him in any location/state such as para, vyUha, vibhava etc., you ask “Is this act of capturing her heart and making her feel lonely, apt?”) [5th pAsuram]
- “kaRpiyA vaiththa mARRam sollich chenmingaL” (now you go [to him] saying the words I taught you) [6th pAsuram]
- “madhusUdhaRken mARRanjolli” (Telling madhusUdhanan emperumAn the words I taught to the parrots and mynAs) [7th pAsuram]
- “mAsaRu neelach chudar mudi vAnavar kOnaik kaNdu EsaRum nummai allAl maRu nOkkilaL” (on seeing the supreme lord, who is having faultless hair with blue radiance and who is the leader of nithyasUris, you should give your mercy one day by saying to him “[for parAnguSa nAyaki] there is no option to see, other than you who are free from any blemish”) [8th pAsuram]
- “viNNavar kOnaik kaNdu vArththaigaL koNdaruLi uraiyIr ” (on seeing the supreme lord who is like huge clouds gathered during rainy season, who is very obedient to his devotees through his incarnation, and who is letting (such beauty) to be enjoyed by the residents of paramapadham, bring his message and shower your mercy upon me) [9th pAsuram]
- “mandhiraththonRuNarththi uraiyIr ” (go to the private abode of emperumAn and tell him a word about me) [10th pAsuram]
- mannu thirunAdu mudhal thUdhu nalgi vidum – thirunAdu mudhal (paramapadham etc) implies that as said in AchArya hrudhayam 156 “mUnRAm thUdhukku vishayam parathvadhvayam” (the target of third message is parathvam and antharyAmithvam), the target is in thirunAdu (paramapadham) and nenjanAdu (the abode in heart). This message towards paramapadham and antharyAmi is explained in this decad as seen in, “mAmadhu vAr thaNduzhAy mudi vAnavar kOnaik kaNdu” (on seeing emperumAn who is donning the divine crown which is decorated with cool thiruththuzhAy in which honey is greatly flowing and dripping, and who is ruling over the nithyasUris) [4th pAsuram], “mAsaRu neelach chudar mudi vAnavar kOnaik kaNdu” (on seeing the supreme lord, who is having faultless hair with blue radiance and who is the leader of nithyasUris) [8th pAsuram], “kArththiraL mA mugil pOl kaNNan viNNavar kOnaik kaNdu” (on seeing the supreme lord who is like huge clouds gathered during rainy season, who is very obedient to his devotees through his incarnation, and who is letting (such beauty) to be enjoyed by the residents of paramapadham), “enguch chenRAgilum kaNdu” (going and seeing him in any location/state such as para, vyUha, vibhava etc) [5th pAsuram]. “thUdhu nalgi vidum” means sending message desirously. As said in “than mannu nIL kazhal mEl thaN thuzhAy namakkanRi nalgAn” (he will joyfully give the invigorating thiruththuzhAy which is fittingly present on his divine feet which stretch up to the location of his devotees) [6th pAsuram], sending the messenger depending upon his aikarasyam (having similar taste as his devotees).
- mannu thirunAdu mudhal thUdhu nalgi vidum mARanaiyE – Only AzhwAr who is desirously sending message to eternal paramapadham and other abodes.
- nIdulagIr pOy vaNanguvIr – Oh residents of this material world which is also eternal though constantly changing! You don’t have to go through the suffering of sending messages. Instead you can walk up to AzhwAr and worship him. Unlike paramapadham, AzhwArthirunagari is in close proximity. You can surrender unto AzhwAr even without purushakAram (recommendation).
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org