SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
How is that done? AzhwAr experienced togetherness with bhagavAn but only in the mind and had no opportunity for an external togetherness. As said in thiruvAimozhi 6.5.10 “senniyAl vaNangum avvUrth thirunAmam kEtpadhu sindhaiyE” (she is bowing with her head towards such town and is focussed on hearing the divine name of that town from others), she became very anguished and unconscious. He reveals how his AthmA and all belongings of AthmA left him on their own and he has become weakened as he desired to discard them in thiruvAimozhi 4.8 “ERALum iRaiyOnum“, through the words of the divine mother of parAngusa nAyaki (AzhwAr in feminine mood) who reveals how her daughter’s belongings such as bangles were taken away by emperumAn. mAmunigaL mercifully explains this principle explained in “mAlukku vaiyam” starting with “mAludanE thAn kalandhu“.
mAludanE thAn kalandhu vAzhap peRAmaiyAl
sAla naindhu thannudaimai thAn adaiyak kOliyE
thAn igazha vENdAmal thannai vidal sol mARan
Unam aRu sIr nenjE uN
mAludanE – with emperumAn
thAn kalandhu vAzhap peRAmaiyAl – being unable to live together
sAla naindhu – becoming very weakened
than udaimai thAn adaiyak kOli thAn igazha vENdAmal – instead of having to try to give up self and belongings of self
thannai vidal sol mARan – AzhwAr who mercifully said that they left him on their own, his
Unam aRu sIr – faultless auspicious qualities
nenjE – Oh heart!
uN – enjoy
Oh heart! Being unable to live together with emperumAn, AzhwAr became very weak and mercifully said “instead of having to try to give up self and belongings of self, they left me on their own”. Enjoy the faultless auspicious qualities of such AzhwAr.
Highlights from vyAkyAnam
- mAludanE thAn kalandhu vAzhap peRAmaiyAl – Having not been uplifted after being together with sarvESvaran who is infatuated towards his devotees. Previously, AzhwAr said in thiruvAimozhi 6.5.10 “adimai seyvAr thirumAlukku” (will get to serve SrIman nArAyaNa) – mAmunigaL is saying this, based on those words.
- sAla naindhu – Becoming very anguished. Becoming so weak that he cannot speak about his own state and needs the help of his divine mother to speak about self.
- than udaimai thAn adaiyak kOli thAn igazha vENdAmal – Unlike in thiruvAimozhi 4.8 “ERALum iRaiyOn” where he prayed to give up self and belongings of self, which do not serve the purpose of bhagavAn.
- thannai vidal sol mARan – AzhwAr who mercifully spoke about self and belongings leaving him fully. That is, as said in SrI rAmAyaNam kishkindhA kANdam 6.11 “uththarIyam thayA thyaktham SubhAnyAbharaNAnyapi” (She dropped the upper cloth of her sari along with the auspicious ornaments), the references seen in following pAsurams:
- “Elak kuzhali izhandhadhu sangE” (My daughter who is having lock [of hair] with honey laden flower which is refreshingly fragrant like cardamom, lost her bangle) [1st pAsuram]
- “en mangai izhandhadhu mAmai niRamE” (my daughter who is at the age which attracts him, lost her beautiful complexion) [2nd pAsuram]
- “en piRangirungUndhal izhandhadhu pIdE” (My daughter who has well grown, collection of locks [of hair] lost her pride) [3rd pAsuram]
- “en pAdudai algul izhandhadhu paNbE” (My daughter who has an expansive waist lost her distinguished quality) [4th pAsuram]
- “en kaN punai kOdhai izhandhadhu kaRpE” (My daughter who is wearing a garland which captivates the eyes of those who see her, lost her intelligence) [5th pAsuram]
- “en viRpuruvak kodi thORRadhu meyyE” (my tender creeper like daughter who is having bow like eyebrow has lost the body which was obedient towards her) [6th pAsuram]
- “en thaiyal izhandhadhu thannudaich chAyE” (My very beautiful daughter lost her distinguished collective beauty) [7th pAsuram]
- “en vAsak kuzhali izhandhadhu mANbE” (My daughter who has ultimate fragrant hair lost her femininity) [8th pAsuram]
- “en pUN punai men mulai thORRadhu poRpE” (my daughter whose bosoms are tender to bear the separation and are decorated with ornaments, lost her beauty ) [9th pAsuram]
- “en kaRpudaiyAtti izhandhadhu kattE” (My intelligent daughter lost her feminine limits) [10th pAsuram]
- thannai vidal sol mARan – AzhwAr who mercifully said in the 11th pAsuram “kattezhil thenkurugUrch chatakOpan sol” (nammAzhwAr, the chief of the attractive AzhwArthirunagari which is having beautiful forts, mercifully spoke), his.
- Unam aRu sIr nenjE uN – Fault for sIr (qualities) is to exist for selfish desires. Faultless means, to exist for the sake of others. Oh heart! Enjoy such boundless qualities. Just as AzhwAr enjoys emperumAn’s qualities as said in periya thiruvandhAdhi 78 “kaNai nANil OvAth thozhil sArngan thol sIrai nannenjE OvAdha UNAga uN” (Oh good heart! Enjoy the unending qualities of emperumAn who is valorously engaged with his endless arrows and bow), you enjoy the qualities of AzhwAr such as bhakthi etc, as your food.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org