SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
How is that done? Even after developing detachment towards AthmA and belongings of AthmA, they did not leave AzhwAr and hence his pain in separation increased greatly. He started looking at the samsAris to be companions during such loss and observed that they were indifferent towards bhagavath vishayam. They were suffering while considering the worldly gain and loss as their attainment of result and lack of it; being unable to bear that, he tells sarvESvaran “Oh benefactor! While you the protector are existing, how can they suffer like this?” and became distressed. He tells emperumAn “either you should eliminate their suffering or mercifully finish me who cannot bear seeing their suffering”. emperumAn responds saying “Since they have no desire [for this], I am equally distressed as you”; AzhwAr said “In that case, you should rescue me from amidst them”. emperumAn manifested his presence along with pirAtti in paramapadham, to eliminate his anguish. Seeing that AzhwAr became contented; mAmunigaL mercifully explains this principle explained in thiruvAimozhi 4.9 “naNNAdhAr muRuvalippa” starting with “naNNAdhu mAladiyai“.
naNNAdhu mAladiyai nAnilaththE valvinaiyAl
eNNArAth thunbamuRum ivvuyirgaL thaNNimaiyaik
kaNdirukka mAttAmal kaN kalangu mARanaruL
uNdu namakkuRRa thuNai onRu
mAl adiyai – divine feet of emperumAn
naNNAdhu – without surrendering
nAnilaththE – on this earth
val vinaiyAl – due to cruel sins
eN ArAth thunbam uRum – experiencing endless sorrow
ivvuyirgaL – these AthmAs, their
thaNNimaiyai – lowliness
kaNdu irukka mAttAmal – being unable to remain relaxed after seeing
kaN kalangum – mercifully having his divine eyes shed tears (and divine heart becoming worried)
mARan – AzhwAr’s
aruL – mercy
namakku uRRa thuNai onRu uNdu – remains as our apt companion.
AzhwAr seeing, on this earth, the lowliness of these AthmAs who are experiencing endless sorrow due to cruel sins, without surrendering at the divine feet of emperumAn, becomes unable to remain relaxed, is mercifully having his divine eyes shed tears; such AzhwAr’s mercy remains as our apt companion.
Highlights from vyAkyAnam
- naNNAdhu mAl adiyai – Without surrendering at the divine feet of sarvESvaran who is greatly affectionate towards his devotees. mAmunigaL says that AzhwAr is speaking with disgust after finding no companion amidst samsAris to share his grief even after developing detachment in AthmA and its belongings, saying “nAnilaththE valvinaiyAl …“.
- nAnilaththE – On four types of earth. That is, emperumAn remains easily approachable in kuRinji (hilly areas) such as thirumalai etc, mullai (forest areas) such as thirukkOshtiyUr, thirumOgUr etc, marudham (urban areas) such as kOyil (SrIrangam), perumAL kOyil (kAnchIpuram) etc and neydhal (seashore areas) such as thiruvallikkENi, thiruppullANi, thiruvallavAzh, thiruvaNvaNdUr etc; instead of surrendering at his divine feet, considering that saulabhyam.
- nAnilaththE val vinaiyAl eN ArAth thunbam uRum ivvyirgaL – Instead of surrendering to bhagavAn on this distinguished earth. As said in periya thiruvandhAdhi 44 “mAlaiththAm vAzhththAdhiruppar idhuvanREmElaiththAm seyyum vinai” (Isn’t it due to their sins that the samsAris don’t praise sarvESvaran since time immemorial?) these bound souls are going through extreme, countless suffering due to their strong sins. As said in SrI rAmAyaNam ayOdhyA kANdam 105.24 “nadhandhyuthitha AdhithyE nadhanthyasthamithEravau | AthmanO na avabudhyanthE manushyAjIvithakshayam ||” (People are delighted when the sun has risen and also when the day ends. But they are not able to perceive the waning in their life-span).
- thaNNimaiyaik kaNdirukka mAttAmal – Being unable to bear on seeing their disastrous state. That is, as highlighted in many pAsurams as in,
- eNNArAth thuyar viLaikkum ivai enna ulagiyaRkai (How strange are these worldly aspects which cause innumerable sufferings?) [1st pAsuram]
- EmArik kidandhalaRRum ivai enna ulagiyaRkai (How strange are these worldly aspects which are causing us to stay without any break and cry?) [2nd pAsuram]
- kaNdARREn ulagiyaRkai (I am unable to see and bear this world) [3rd pAsuram]
- thamamUdum ivai enna ulagiyaRkai ( How sad are worldly incidents which make one to be consumed by the darkness of ignorance?) [4th pAsuram]
- aRap poruLai aRindhOrAr ivai enna ulagiyaRkai? (How sad are these worldly situations where those who don’t know and determine that dharma is the first goal …) [6th pAsuram]
- kodu ulagam kAttElE (Hide this cruel world from my eyes) [7th pAsuram]. etc
- kaN kalangum mARan – AzhwAr’s divine eyes become wet and his divine heart becomes shaken. That is, AzhwAr who became convinced as said in “kUttariya thiruvadikkaL kUttinai” (united me with your divine feet which are difficult to attain) [9th pAsuram] and “adaindhEn un thiruvadiyE” (attained your divine feet) [10th pAsuram], after mercifully revealing his sorrows, as said in ,
- kUyE koL adiyEnaik kodu ulagam kAttElE (mercifully call and accept me who is a servitor (of yours) and hide the cruel world from me) [7th pAsuram]
- vAngenai (mercifully acknowledge me) [5th pAsuram]
- kUttariya thiruvadikkaL engyAnRu kUttudhiyE? (When will you unite me with your divine feet which are difficult to attain?) [8th pAsuram]
- aruL uNdu namakku uRRa thuNai onRu – Mercy of such AzhwAr who will argue with ISvara for those samsAris who were abandoned by ISvara himself, will remain as our confidential protection. We need not search for any other protection as AzhwAr’s mercy itself will remain our protection. kaNNinuN chiRuth thAmbu 8 “aruL koNdu Ayiram inthamizh pAdinAn aruL kaNdIr ivvulaginil mikkadhE” ( nammAzhwAr, out of great mercy, compiled the thousand pAsurams of thiruvAimozhi. This mercy of nammAzhwAr is very great in this world).
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org