SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
See nampiLLai’s introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
See nampiLLai’s introduction.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
In the fifth decad, AzhwAr explained the nature of bhakthi [yOgam] which is a tool for enjoyment, and to explain further about the qualities of such bhakthi, highlights the following aspects about the worshippable sarvESvaran:
- his distinguished name, which is the identity for the [distinguished ashtAkshara] manthram
- his having qualities which are revealed in the meanings of the name
- his activities such as creation
- his reclining on the ocean as a refuge for others
- he being the grantor of liberation
- his easy approachability for the sake of protecting others
- he being the means and goal,
- he being enjoyable for great personalities
- he being easily approachable for those who fully seek nothing but him
- his greatness in protecting his devotees
Meditating upon these aspects, AzhwAr says “If one enjoys such sarvESvara, meditating upon the principles highlighted in the aforementioned manthra, worshipping him with materials such as flowers, with all the three faculties (mind, body and speech), all the hurdles will go away on their own; ultimate goal will also be attained” and briefly concludes the process of bhakthi yOgam which leads to the goal, to be understood clearly.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s introduction
In the previous decad, AzhwAr explained how bhakthi [yOgam] led to its goal; AzhwAr sees that emperumAn is not patient to let the process work and is eager to take AzhwAr to paramapadham; that is – what is said in thiruvAimozhi 9.10.5 “maraNamAnAl” (on death) is considered to be too long by emperumAn, and does not wait till that time and desires to take AzhwAr to paramapadham – thinking about this, AzhwAr thinks further “as it is inevitable for me to leave, as the residents of this world should know the mood and activities of bhakthimAns (devotees practicing bhakthi yOgam), let us advice them”. AzhwAr is as merciful as emperumAnAr [Though emperumAnAr is after AzhwAr, since AchAryas have closer proximity with emperumAnAr, they can relate to AzhwAr by comparing him with emperumAnAr]. AzhwAr thinks “Why should they be missing out on this?” and started giving advice on the nature of such bhakthi; since emperumAn is eagerly waiting to take AzhwAr to paramapadham, and since those who listen to this should become faithful, AzhwAr made the pAsurams brief and started instructing the following aspects:
- the divine name to hold on for such bhakthi
- the manthra which is to be meditated/uttered for those who engage in this
- the means for mOksham is meditation upon the meaning of the manthram
- perform bhakthi in the aforementioned manner
- surrender unto him with all the three faculties (mind, speech and body)
- he is easily approachable for those who surrender unto him in this manner
- he is easily worshippable since he is Sriya:pathi
- the one (SrI mahAlakshmi) who facilitates such surrender and presents AthmA’s efforts in grand manner to emperumAn is with him
- while surrendering one need not have any specific qualification, one who has ruchi (taste) is qualified to surrender unto him
- serve him with materials such as flowers etc
- as you surrender unto him, all your hurdles will be gone
Explaining in this manner, AzhwAr advises saying “we (I) will not remain here even a few more days, and as my leaving this world is inevitable, everyone listen to this and accept the same” and with this, concludes with advice to others, which was started by him [in the beginning].
Each pAsuram is discussed subsequently.
- pAsuram 1
- pAsuram 2
- pAsuram 3
- pAsuram 4
- pAsuram 5
- pAsuram 6
- pAsuram 7
- pAsuram 8
- pAsuram 9
- pAsuram 10
- pAsuram 11
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org