SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
When said “Just being with great love is not sufficient. Our family is situated in good conduct as said in ‘karmaNaiva hi samsidhdhim AsthithA janakAdhaya:‘ (Have janaka et al not attained the result of self-realisation through karma yOga only?) So thiruppuliyUr emperumAn should also have good conduct”, parAnguSa nAyaki‘s friend says “Have you not heard about the conduct of the residents of thiruppuliyUr?”
madavaral annaimIrgatku en sollich chollugEn? mallaich chelva
vadamozhi maRai vANar vELviyuNey azhal vAn pugai pOy
thida visumbil amarar nAttai maRaikkum thaN thiruppuliyUr
padavaravaNaiyAn than nAmam allAl paravAL ivaLE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
annaimIrgatku – for you, mothers
en – what words
solli – by telling
solluvEn – will explain?
(useful in the worship)
mallai – huge
selvam – having wealth
vadamozhi – samskrutham language (which is uttered during worship)
maRaivANar – experts in vEdham (which reveals the methods of worship), their
vELviyuL – in rituals such as yAgam (fire sacrifice) etc (which are forms of worship)
ney – the offerings made in the form of ghee etc
azhal – fire’s
vAn – huge
pugai – smoke
pOy – rising
thidam – firm
visumbil – in the sky
amarar – dhEvas’
nAttai – abode
maRaikkum – covering (like surrounding it with a screen)
thaN – invigorating
thiruppuliyUr – in thiruppuliyUr
(as said in “uthsIdhEyur imE lokA na kuryAm karma chEdh aham“, as he is engaged in karma for the benefit of the world, depending on the activities of the residents of the town)
padam – having hoods (which are expanded due to coming in contact with him)
aravu aNaiyAn than – one who is resting on the mattress, thiruvananthAzhwAn (AdhiSEsha), to be worshipped by such rituals
nAmam – divine name
allAl – other than
ivaL madavaral – this obedient girl
paravAL – will not speak.
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
With what words will I explain to you, mothers? In the invigorating thiruppuliyUr, emperumAn is resting on the hooded thiruvananthAzhwAn, the mattress, to be worshipped by rituals such as yAgam (fire sacrifice) etc by the very wealthy experts in samskrutham language and vEdham, where the offerings made in the form of ghee etc by them in the fire gives rise to huge smoke which reaches the abode of dhEvas, in sky and covers it. This obedient girl will not speak about any name other than the divine name of such thiruppuliyUr emperumAn.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- madavaral – Her obedience; how she was obedient towards me; also implies, she will not give up on whatever she holds on to.
- annaimIrgatku – For you, who introduced her to me first.
- en sollich chollugEn – Shall I say that she is following my advice? Shall I say that she is obedient towards me?
- mallai … – brAhmaNas who are having infinite wealth, who are experts in samskrutha [purANas etc] and vEdham, engage in yAgam where they offer ghee, which gives rise to smoke that goes up.
- thida visumbil amarar nAttai maRaikkum – It will cover the dhEvalOkam (abode of dhEvas) which is in the firmly remaining sky. It will cover the vaimAnikas (pilots of the planes) in svargam (heaven) and will stop the apsaras (damsels) from seeing their faces. It can also be considered to be putting up a curtain for their enjoyment in privacy.
- thaN thiruppuliyUr – His nature is as said in SrI bhagavath gIthA 3.24 “uthsIdhEyur imE lokA na kuryAm karma chEdh aham | sankarasya cha karthA syAm upahanyAm imA: prajA: ||” (If I did not perform the actions, the residents of this world (who follow my discipline) will be ruined; I would be the one who caused mixture (impurity in the families of dedicated followers); thus, I would be the cause for the downfall (in the future too) of these people).
- pada aravu … – She does not repeatedly utter any name other than the divine name of thiruppuliyUr emperumAn who is resting on thiruvanthAzhwAn whose hoods are expanded due to being in contact with emperumAn. While I am with her, she speaks about the beauty of his mattress, which she enjoyed during her union with him.
- ivaL – She who does not know to interact with anyone other than me.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org