SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
In this pAsuram, mAmunigaL is following the divine words [of AzhwAr] which instructed bhagavAn‘s saulabhyam (easy approachability) and mercifully explaining the same. How is that done? Looking at samsAris (materialistic people) who are upset thinking “How will we, who are lowly, see and worship emperumAn who is greater than all and beyond our senses?” AzhwAr said “emperumAn, the supreme lord, himself makes his form, which is beyond our sense, available to be seen by us out of his mercy, and appeared as SrI rAma, krishNa et al to be worshipped even by samsAris and has become easily approachable; hence there is no limitation in worshipping him” as explained in thiruvAimozhi 1.3 “paththudai adiyavar“; the meanings explained in this decad of thiruvAimozhi are mercifully explained by mAmunigaL in this pAsuram starting with “paththudaiyOrkku“.
paththudaiyOrkkenRum paran eLiyanAm piRappAl
muththi tharum mAnilaththIr mUNdavanpAl – paththi seyyum
enRuraiththa mARan thanin sollAl pOm nedugach
chenRa piRappAm anjiRai
paran – “sarvESvaran
paththu udaiyOrkku – for devotees
enRum – always
eLiyan Am – sulabha (easy to approach);
piRappAl – through incarnations
muththi tharum – will mercifully grant mOksham (liberation);
mAnilaththIr – Oh residents of (this) vast earth!
mUNda anbAl – with matured love
paththi seyyum – enRu uraiththa – engage in devotion (in his matters)” as said mercifully
mARan than – AzhwAr‘s
in sollAl – practice of the sweet thiruvAimozhi
nedugach chenRa piRappAm am siRai – this cruel bondage of birth which has followed us for long [since time immemorial]
pOm – will leave
By the practice of AzhwAr’s sweet thiruvAimozhi as he mercifully said “sarvESvaran is easily approachable for his devotees always; he will mercifully grant mOksham through his incarnations; oh residents of vast earth! engage in devotion with matured love towards him”, this bondage of birth which has followed us for long, will leave.
Highlights from vyAkyAnam
- paththu udaiyOrkku enRum pran eLiyanAm piRappAl – paththu udaiyOr – those who have devotion; here it is said as saying “those who have treasure”. mAmunigaL is mercifully speaking in ISvara’s view point, where emperumAn considers even a slight inclination towards him, as great; AzhwAr too said “paththudai adiyavar” (devotees with devotion) [pAsuram 1]. For those with such devotion.
- enRum – always.
- paran – sarvESvaran, who is greater than all, as said in “yAvaiyum yAvarum thAnAm
amaivudai nAraNan” (SrIman nArAyaNan who sustains all chEthanas (sentient beings) and achEthanas (insentient objects)) [3rd pAsuram] and in “malar magaL virumbum nam arum peRal adigaL” (The great lord who is desired by SrI mahAlakshmi who is seated on the lotus flower) [1st pAsuram],
- eLiyanAm – One who is easy to approach as said in SrI rAmAyaNam yudhdha kANdam “vAyu sUnO:” (vAyu’s son) and in SrI rAmAyaNam bAla kANdam 31.4 “imausma” (SrI rAma to viSvAmithra – we are available to execute your orders). He is so simple to be tied up and beaten as said in “paththudai adiyavarkku eLiyavan, maththuRu kadai veNNey kaLavinil uravidai AppuNdu uralinOdu iNaindhu irundhu Engiya eLivu eththiRam” (He is easily approachable by his devotees – he was caught while stealing butter which was churned with great effort using the churning stick and he was bound in the chest and was crying out of fear. How is this simplicity possible for him?) [1st pAsuram].
How did this happen?
- piRappAl – In his incarnations; mAmunigaL is thinking about “pala piRappAy oLivarum” (shining radiantly through his many incarnations) [2nd pAsuram].
- muththi tharum – Where he incarnates, he would grant mOksham to pakshi (bird) [SrI rAma liberated jatAyu] and rAkshasa (demon) [krishNa liberated gaNtA karNan]. mAmunigaL is following AzhwAr‘s words of “vIdAm theLi tharu nilaimaiyadhu ozhivilan” (he is capable of liberating any one which leads to clear knowledge about everything) [2nd pAsuram].
- mAnilaththIr – Oh residents of this vast earth which is fit for his incarnations!
- mUNdu avan pAl paththi seyyum – Engage in devotion at the divine feet of emperumAn who has parathvam (supremacy), saulabhyam (simplicity) etc, out of love instead of doing it as an ordained activity.
- enRu uraiththa – mercifully spoken in this manner. With this, mAmuigaL is emphasising what is said in “nanRena nalam seyvadhu avanidai” (Engage in single-minded devotion on SrIman nArAyaNan) [7th pAsuram].
- paththi seyum enRuraiththa mARan thanin sollAl pOm – [the cruel prison of birth] will leave by the practice of this decad which is pleasing to hear, and which is mercifully spoken by AzhwAr instructing everyone to surrender unto him through his easy approachability in his incarnations.
- nedugach chenRa piRappAm am siRai – This cruel prison of birth [old-age, disease and death] which has been firmly occurring since time immemorial. mAmunigaL emphasises what is said in “aRuvar tham piRavi am siRai” (will be relieved from the cruel prison of birth) [11th pAsuram]. It is said in SrI bhagavath gIthA 4.9 ” thyakthvA dhEham punar janma naithi mAm Ethi sO’rjuna” (after giving up the current body, he does not take birth again but he attains me).
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org