SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr says “You who are the antharAthmA (in-dwelling super-soul) for all worldly entities which are doers or actions, should bestow your mercy upon me who do not know the means to attain you”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.`
Seventh pAsuram. emperumAn says “There is a streak of independence in you based on the fact that you are grieving for this world” and AzhwAr responds “While the means and the doers are at your disposal, this grief is just a natural quality [in separation]”. Alternatively – see nanjIyar‘s introduction.
ulagil thiriyum karuma gadhiyAy ulagamAy
ulagukkE Or uyirum AnAy! puRa aNdaththu
alagil polindha thisai paththAya aruvEyO
alagil polindha aRivilEnukku aruLAyE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
ulagil – in the world
thiriyum – engaged
karumam – leading to result
gathi – for the means
Ay – being the controller
ulagam – for the doers of those means
Ay – being the promoter (by being the antharAthmA)
(Not only being such promoter)
ulagukku – for all the worlds
Or uyirum – being the singular soul
AnAy – being the one
puRa aNdaththu – those who remain outside the oval shaped universe
alagil polindha – with countless (endless) nature
(by their dharmabhUtha gyAnam (knowledge))
paththu – ten
thisai – in directions
Aya – pervaded
aruvE – Oh one who is having the mukthAthmAs (liberated souls) as prakAram (form)!
alagil polindha – countless [endless]
aRivilEnukku – me who is not having the means to attain you, due to my ignorance
aruLAy – should shower your mercy (to have you as the means and end).
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Oh emperumAn who is the controller of everything engaged in this world leading to result for the means! Oh one who is the promoter for the doers of those means! Oh one who is the singular soul for all the worlds! mukthAthmAs (liberated souls) who remain outside the oval shaped universe, with endless nature, pervaded in ten directions; oh one who is having such mukthAthmAs as prakAram (form)! You shower your mercy on me who is not having the means to attain you, due to my ignorance.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- ulagil thiriyum karuma gathiyAy – The means which is practiced in this world. Is there any one other than you who can bestow the results?
- ulagamAy – Are the practitioners independent? [They are controlled by you too] “ulagam enbadhu uyarndhOr mAdu” (the term world implies the learned elders residing in the world); this can also mean all residents of the world.
- ulagukkE Or uyirum AnAy – Just as a body is considered as the possession of an AthmA, oh one who is the singular soul of all objects! yajur AraNyakam 3-11-21 “antha:pravishtaSSAstha janAnAm sarvAthmA” (emperumAn pervades all janas (those who are born) and controls them). One who bestows the result himself remains the doer, the action and the instruments. When both (karma and karthA) are at your disposal, how can we survive without you?
- puRa aNdaththu – As said in “aNdAthbahi:” (outside the oval shaped universe).
- alagil podhindha thisai paththAya aruvEyO – Oh one who is the controller for the countless AthmAs (mukthAthmAs) who pervade in all ten directions with their gyAnam just as emperumAn pervades everything with his true nature, who are without [material] form unlike entities with [material] form! Are the mukthas independent? [No] Would paramapadham have ten directions? Since AzhwAr is saying this from here, he is saying like that. Alternatively – when mukthas think about the leelA vibhUthi (samsAram), they will experience it as it is seen here.
- alagil polindha aRivilEnukku – AzhwAr is saying that even if he can comprehend bhagavAn’s svarUpa, rUpa, guNa, vibhUthi etc, he cannot comprehend his own ignorance. This is the conclusion of the one who attained unblemished knowledge/devotion from bhagavAn himself.
- aruLAyE – As I have the prerequisite (not having anything in me), what stops you from bestowing your mercy! As said in sthOthra rathnam 24 “anuththamam pAthram idham dhayAyA:” (You now have the best recipient for your mercy).
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org