SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the fourth pAsuram, parAnguSa nAyaki‘s friend says “The day she saw thiruththolaivillimangalam and the abundance of SrIvaishNavas there, she broke her shackles”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, parAnguSa nAyaki‘s friend says “After seeing thiruththolaivillimangalam which is the abode of his distinguished devotees, she became uncontrollable”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
niRkum nAnmaRai vANar vAzh tholaivillimangalam kaNda pin
aRkam onRum aRavuRAL malindhAL kaNdIr ivaL annaimIr
kaRkum kalvi ellAm kadal vaNNan kaNNa pirAn enRE
oRkam onRum ilaL ugandhugandhu uLmagizhndhu kuzhaiyumE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
niRkum – being eternal
nAl – classified into four
maRai – in vEdhams
vANar – experts
vAzh – living well (due to bhagavath anubhavam)
tholaivillimangalam – thiruththolaivillimangalam
kaNda pin – after seeing
aRa – good
aRkam – control
onRum – any
uRAL – not having;
ivaL – she
malindhAL – became uncontrollable;
(to become like this)
annaimIr – you who gave birth to her and raised her
kaNdIr – have seen!
kaRkum – reciting
kalvi – words
ellAm – everything
karu – blackish
kadal – like an ocean
vaNNan – having the form
kaNNan – krishNa who is humble towards his devotees
pirAn – great benefactor
enRE – as
(highlighting his beautiful form and qualities)
onRum – in any manner
oRkam – control
ilaL – not having
ugandhu ugandhu – becoming more joyful due to meditating upon such aspects
(due to that)
uL – in heart
magizhndhu – with great joy
kuzhaiyum – weakened.
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
After seeing thiruththolaivillimangalam which is inhabited by experts in eternal vEdham which is classified into four, she is not having control in anything and has become uncontrollable. You [her mothers], who gave birth to her and raised her, have seen! Everything she recites is about krishNa, the great benefactor who is humble towards his devotees and is having an ocean like blackish form; she is not having any control and is becoming more joyful due to meditating upon such aspects; with great joy in her heart, she has weakened.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- niRkum nAnmaRai – The four vEdhams which are eternal. nithyathvam (eternal) means the way it is propagated by one person who teaches it as heard previously and the other who person repeats it, and it goes on like this forever. Hence vEdham is eternal. Since it is apaurushEyam (not created by any one), it is free from defects.
- vANar – Those who can claim the vyAsAsanam [the seat of vEdha vyAsa who divided the vEdham into four and explained brahma sUthram].
- vAzh – Those who can visualize bhagavAn who is explained through vEdham and hence live joyfully.
- vAzh tholaivillimangalam – The town where bhagavAn who is the meaning of vEdham, is visualized. Those who are in the higher platform of yOgam as said in SrIvishNu purANam 6.6.2 “yOgAth svAdhyAyam AmanEth” (Through yOgam, desiring to study the portions which are not yet studied) instead of just being as said in the same SlOkam “svAdhyAyAth yOgam AsItha” (studying the vEdham since it is ordained to do so).
- kaNda pin – You spoiled her by showing the togetherness of emperumAn and vaishNavas in that town.
- aRkam onRum aRavurAL – aRkam – humility/control. She gave up being obedient to our instructions.
- malindhAL – She became too engaged to be redeemed by our advice. She became unqualified to be redeemed.
- malindhAL kaNdIr ivaL – She became so great in attachment towards bhagavAn, which is beyond my comprehension.
- annaimIr – In knowing her state, there is no difference between you who try to redeem her and me who thinks I know her. Only if samsAris [materialistic persons] can know about the activities of nithyasUris [eternally free assistants of emperumAn in paramapadham], we can understand her state.
- kaRkum … – Whatever she speaks, they only related to his divine names, that too, those which are related to his physical beauty and his obedience towards his devotees. It is well known that “krishNa is obedient towards his devotees”.
- pirAn – The benefactor who let me enjoy his physical beauty making himself available to me.
- enRE oRkam onRum ilaL – She is not feeling any fatigue due to continuously reciting his divine names. While it is said “due to the unfortunate situation of being separated, she will not even be able to recite his divine names completely”, she kept reciting without any fatigue. It appears that the divine name itself will make her sustain and recite it; it is said in thiruvAimozhi 1.7.10 “pAdi iLaippilam” (I have no reason to take a break from glorifying his incomparable auspicious qualities). oRkam – midi (poverty); not having fatigue; alternative explanation – oRkam – obedience; that is, not feeling shy to speak in this manner in front of the mothers.
- ugandhu ugandhu – Becoming more and more joyful by meditating upon his beauty, simplicity through his divine names.
- uL magizhndhu kuzhaiyumE – Due to the great loving joy, the AthmA itself becomes weak.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org