SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the end pAsuram, AzhwAr says “Those who are well versed in this decad, will serve SrIvaishNavas”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr explains being honoured by the whole world and being specifically born to serve bhAgavathas, as the result of those who learn this decad.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
kUndhal malar mangaikkum maN madandhaikkum kula Ayar kozhundhukkum kELvan thannai
vAyndha vazhudhi vaLa nAdan mannu kurugUrch chatakOpan kuRREval seydhu
Ayndha thamizh mAlai AyiraththuL ivaiyum oru paththum vallAr ulagil
Endhu perum selvaththarAyth thirumAl adiyArgaLaip pUsikka nORRArgaLE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
kUndhal – having distinguished hair (as said in thiruvAimozhi 10.10.2 “vAsam sey pUm kuzhalAL“)
malar – being infinitely enjoyable due to having been born in the lotus flower
mangaikkum – for lakshmi (who is ever youthful)
maN madandhaikkum – for SrI bhUmip pirAtti (who is as distinguished in her beauty etc as SrI mahAlakshmi)
kulam – having high family heritage
Ayar – for cowherd clan
kozhundhukkum – for nappinnaip pirAtti (who is like a crown jewel)
kELvan thannai – towards sarvESvaran who is very dear
vAyndha – due to overwhelming emotions, having attained the mood of bhagavAn
vazhudhi vaLa nAdan – leader of vazhudhi vaLa nAdu (region covering AzhwArthirunagari)
mannu – firmly placed
kurugUr – leader of AzhwArthirunagari
satakOpan – nammAzhwAr
kuRREval – as confidential service
seydhu – performed
Ayndha – spoken after analysis
thamizh mAlai – garland in thamizh
AyiraththuL – among the thousand pAsurams
ivaiyum oru paththum – this distinguished decad which is hailed as “what a decad is this!”
vallAr – those who can meditate upon (with the same emotions)
ulagil – in this world
Endhu – to be held high
perum selvaththarAy – having the great wealth of SrIvaishNavaSrI
thirumAl – for sarvESvaran who is Sriya:pathi (lord of SrI mahAlakshmi)
adiyArgaLai – bhAgavathas who are servitors
pUsikka – to worship
nORRArgaL – fortunate to do.
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
nammAzhwAr, the leader of AzhwArthirunagari which is part of vazhudhi vaLa nAdu (a region covering AzhwArthirunagari), due to overwhelming emotions, having attained the mood of bhagavAn, spoke after analysis, this distinguished decad. This is hailed as “what a decad is this!” among the thousand pAsurams , which is on sarvESvaran who is very dear to lakshmi who is infinitely enjoyable having been born in lotus flower and who is having distinguished hair, to SrI bhUmip pirAtti and to nappinnai pirAtti who is the crown jewel of the cowherd clan which has high family heritage. Those who can meditate upon this decad, will be held high in this world, having the great wealth of SrIvaishNavaSrI and be fortunate to worship bhAgavathas who are servitors of sarvESvaran who is Sriya:pathi.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- kUndhal malar mangaikkum … – periya pirAttiyAr who is the reason for sarvESvaran‘s wealth. periya pirAttiyAr who is the wealth of sarvESvaran as said in SrIvishNu purANam 1.8.17 “one who is the wealth of vishNu”. SrI bhUmip pirAtti who is the land on which such wealth grows [since she is considered as mother earth, here she is celebrated in this manner]. nappinnaip pirAtti (SrI nILA dhEvi) who is the resulting enjoyment of such wealth. “SriyA sArdham jagath pathi:” (bhagavAn, the lord of the universe, is graciously seated in SrIvaikuNtam along with lakshmI [includes bhUmi dhEvi and nILA dhEvi]).
- kELvan thannai – bhagavAn who is the lord of these divine consorts. From this, we can understand that AzhwAr is not just enacting a particular avathAram (incarnation) of emperumAn, but is enacting the complete lord of ubhaya vibhUthi (spiritual and material realm).
- vAyndha – vAykkai – attaining. Implying about attainment of this aspect of enacting emperumAn.
- kuRREval seydhu – Recital of these pAsurams are the confidential service of AzhwAr at the divine feet of emperumAn. Service rendered in the form of speech. How can this enacting be considered as a service? If the lord who accepts it, considers it as service, what is inappropriate in considering so? His pleasure is the goal of our service. emperumAn will feel greatly joyful thinking “In this samsAram (material realm), there is some one who enacts my pastimes and sustains himself during separation from me”, and hence that will be considered as service to him.
- Ayndha thamizh mAlai … – Those who can practice this decad among the thousand pAsurams in the form of a garland, which were spoken after analysis.
- ulagil Endhu perum selvaththarAy – Having SrIvaishNavaSrI (wealth of kainkaryam) and be celebrated in this world itself by the people of this world. Alternative explanation – like a pot which keeps rising up from the well while fetching water, having infinite wealth in this world as said in perumAL thirumozhi 5.9 “ninnaiyEthAn vENdi nIL selvam thAn vENdAdhAn thannaiyE thAn vENdum selvam” (the wealth which willingly reaches the one who desires no other wealth than emperumAn).
- thirumAl adiyArgaLaip pUsikka nORRArgaLE – They will get to worship [serve] the divine children of SrImahAlakshmi and SrIman nArAyaNan. Worshipping the devotees of Sriya:pathi means – just as AzhwAr became dear to SrIvaishNavas by his enacting of emperumAn, those who learn this decad will also engage in activities that please SrIvaishNavas. That is – reciting these pAsurams. AzhwAr himself said in thiruvAimozhi 9.4.9 “thoNdarkkamudhuNNach chol mAlaigaL sonnEn” (I recited these garlands of words, to have the devotees drink them as nectar).
AzhwAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
emperumAnAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
piLLAn thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nanjIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nampiLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
periyavAchchAn piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
In the next article we will enjoy the next decad.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org