SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the end, AzhwAr is asking “How can those who meditated upon AzhwAr’s suffering in this decad, sustain themselves?”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr explains attainment of paramapadham as the result of [learning/reciting] this decad.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
In the end, AzhwAr says “Those who heard AzhwAr’s pAsurams, and those who meditated upon AzhwAr’s condition, will not survive. Since those who die [after hearing AzhwAr’s words and meditating upon him] are sure to reach paramapadham, this explains attainment of paramapadham”
uRanguvAn pOl yOgu seydha perumAnaich
chiRandha pozhil sUzh kurugUrch chatakOpan sol
niRam kiLarndha andhAdhi AyiraththuL ippaththAl
iRandhu pOy vaigundham sErAvARu enganEyO?
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
uRanguvAn pOl – pretending to be sleeping (when getting an opportunity to do so)
(in the seclusive abode of milky ocean)
yOgu – the meditation of thinking about protecting the world
seydha – engaged in
perumAnai – about sarvESvaran
siRandha – rich
pozhil – garden
sUzh – surrounded
kurugUr – leader of AzhwArthirunagari
satakOpan – AzhwAr
sol – mercifully compiled
niRam – paN (tune)
kiLarndha – abundant
andhAdhi – in anthAdhi style (beginning of a pAsuram matching the ending of previous pAsuram)
AyiraththuL – among the thousand pAsurams
ip paththAl – by this decad
iRandhu – shedding the body
pOy – travelling in the archirAdhi (the illuminated) path
vaigundham – in paramapadham (spiritual realm)
sErAvARu – not reaching
enganE – how?
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
AzhwAr, the leader of AzhwArthirunagari which is surrounded by rich garden(s), mercifully compiled this decad among the thousand pAsuarams which have abundant tune, on sarvESvaran who is pretending to be sleeping but [actually] engaged in meditating about protecting the world; by singing this decad how will one not go on the archirAdhi path after shedding the body and reach paramapadham? It is certain that one will reach the spiritual realm. niRam – paN (tune); it can also mean chandhas (meter).
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- uRanguvAn pOl yOgu seydha perumAnai – Since his arrival was delayed, as earlier AzhwAr wondered “if he has forgotten me and sleeping”, now he says “he is not sleeping; he is just thinking about our protection”; SrI rangarAja sthavam uththara Sathakam 75 “nidhrAsi jAkaryayA” (you are divinely sleeping with the thought to protect everyone in this world). He is not sleeping, instead he is fully meditating upon our protection, leaving aside all other thoughts. sarvESvaran who is going to subsequently protect us, reminded us about his glories in this manner.
- siRandha pozhil – As AzhwAr sustained himself thinking about emperumAn‘s divine sleep with thoughts about his protection, the whole town sustained itself too. The situation is such that, during separation one will say as in SrI rAmAyaNam ayOdhyA kANdam 59.4 “apivrukshA:” (even trees have withered) and on seeing his arrival, one will say “akAla palinO vrukshA:” (the trees blossom in non-season too).
- niRam kiLarndha andhAdhi – anthAdhi style poems which are abundant in tune.
- ippaththAl … – Those who recited [or meditated upon] this decad, need not suffer in separation from bhagavAn like AzhwAr who desired for death saying as in thiruvAimozhi 5.4.5 “pEr ennai mAyAdhAl” (I am only living for name sake and even death is not helping me); those who recited this decad will not survive. Here it is said like this since those who die hearing this decad will enter paramapadham. There should be some result which is highlighted here, and what is that result? For those who heard the words of those who are engrossed in bhagavath vishayam (matters related to bhagavAn), after leaving their body, their desired goal of attaining paramapadham will not elude them. For those who heard the words of those who are engrossed in bhagavAn, became intolerant of existence in this material world and gave up their body, is there any reason for not reaching paramapadham which is the apt abode?
- ippaththAl iRandhu pOy vaigundham sErAvARu enganEyO – Instead of suffering here saying as in thiruvAimozhi 5.4.1 “nILiravAy nINdadhAl” (as the lengthy night extends without an end) and as in thiruvAimozhi 5.4.4 “oNsudarOn vArAdhu oLiththAn” (the sun not appearing and went into hiding), will reach the [divine] abode [of paramapadham] where the sun never sets and the day never ends.
AzhwAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
emperumAnAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
piLLAn thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nanjIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nampiLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
periyavAchchAn piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
In the next article we will enjoy the next decad.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org