SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the fifth pAsuram, AzhwAr says “Oh asuras (evil) and rAkshasas (demons)! SrIvaishNavas will finish you all and change the yugam too”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
seyginRadhen kaNNukkonRE okkinRadhivvulagaththu
vaikundhan bUdhangaLEyAy mAyaththinAl engum manni
aiyam onRillai arakkar asurar piRandhIr uLLIrEl
uyyum vagai illai thoNdIr Uzhi peyarththidum konRE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
seyginRadhu – their activities
en kaNNukku – for my eyes
onRE okkinRadhu – it appears to be an astonishing one
(what is that?)
ivvulagaththu – in this world (where there are lots of unfavourable aspects)
vaikundhan – paramapadhanAthan’s
bUdhangaLE – devotees who are enjoyers of [paramapadhanAthan’s] qualities, themselves
Ay – became
mAyaththinAl – by their amazing activities
engum – everywhere
manni – residing permanently
arakkar asurar – with demoniac and evil qualities
piRandhIr – those who are born
uLLIrEl – if present
thoNdIr – Oh those who are interested in worldly pleasures!
konRu – killing you
(to change kali yugam to be krutha yugam)
Uzhi – time period
peyarththidum – was changed;
(thus, for you)
uyyum – redemption
vagai – way
illai – not there;
aiyam – doubt
onRum – any
illai – not there.
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
In this world, those who became paramapadhanAthan‘s devotees, who are enjoyers of [paramapadhanAthan’s] qualities, themselves, by their amazing activities, are residing permanently everywhere; oh those who are interested in worldly pleasures! oh those who are born with demoniac and evil qualities! if you are present, you will be killed and the [bad] times will change [into good times]; there is no way for your redemption; there is no doubt about this.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- seyginRadhu … – When I saw whatever is happening, it appears to be something [unique] to my eyes. What is that? In this samsAram (material realm) which is inimical towards enjoying bhagavAn’s qualities, there are SrIvaishNavas who make us feel that we are in nithya vibhUthi (paramapadham – spiritual realm).
- mAyaththinAl engum manni – As said in nigaNdu (dictionary) “mAyA vayunam gyAnam” (mAyA (amazing), vayunam (desire), gyAnam (knowledge) are synonyms), with gyAnam in the form of desire, they entered everywhere out of desire.
- aiyam onRu illai – There is no doubt that “the SrIvaishNavas live the vaikuNta life right here”. Also explained as, there is no doubt that “the bad times will change into good times”.
- arakkar … – If those rAkshasas and asuras assume human forms and try to enter like Suka and sAraNa [the servants of rAvaNa] entered SrI vAnara sEnA (the divine monkey army), there is no way for your redemption. Instead of having to search for perfect SrIvaishNavas as in thiruppallANdu 3 “vAzhAtpattu ninRIr uLLIrEl” (if you are engrossed in bhagavath kainkaryam and and stand firm in that nishtai), everyone became engrossed in kainkaryam, and thus ended up having to search if there are any rAkshasas or asuras. This is how the whole samsAram became reformed after hearing thiruvAimozhi 4.10 “onRum dhEvum” decad.
- thoNdIr – As said in manu smruthi “sEvASvavruththi:” (serving others, is dog’s job), you who all are serving worldly aspects, will be tortured [and consumed] by the time [deluge] and time will itself also change; alternative explanation – the devotees of vaikuNtanAthan will destroy you all and also change the bad times into good times.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org