SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the first pAsuram, AzhwAr seeing the abundance of SrIvaishNavas, performs mangaLASAsanam (well wishes) to them.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr seeing the abundance of bhAgavathas who are sustained by sarvESvaran, performs mangaLASAsanam to them.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
poliga poliga poliga pOyiRRu valluyirch chAbam
naliyum naragamum naindha namanukkingiyAdhonRumillai
kaliyum kedum kaNdu koNmin kadal vaNNan bUdhangaL maN mEl
maliyap pugundhisai pAdi Adi uzhi tharak kaNdOm
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
kadal – like an attractive ocean, which is containing precious gems inside it
vaNNan – by sarvESvaran who has greatness due to having distinguished qualities and form
bUdhangaL – those who were reformed to become bhAgavathas (who are sustained by bhagavAn)
maN mEl – in this earth (which is contrary to enjoying bhagavAn’s qualities)
maliya – to be present in abundance
pugundhu – entered
isai – with music
pAdi – sing
Adi – (out of great joy) dance, with their heads heading the ground
uzhi thara – to engage everywhere
kaNdOm – we have seen;
val uyirch chAbam – very strong curses in the form of ignorance etc, which are unnatural for the AthmA, and which can be exhausted by experiencing the results
pOyiRRu – have been destroyed;
(as the avidhyA (ignorance), karma (puNya/pApa) get destroyed)
naliyum – that which tortures due to such avidhyA, karma etc
naragamum – narakams (hellish regions)
naindha – are broken;
namanukku – for yama, who controls such hellish regions
ingu – in this material realm
yAdhu – to be controlled
onRum – anything
illai – not present;
kaliyum – the defect of the times [kaliyuga], which is the cause for all these aforementioned
kedum – will be destroyed;
kaNdu koNmin – as said in “kalau krutha yuganthasya“, see for yourself that this occurred by the presence of bhAgavathas who engage in virtuous activities from the times of krutha yuga;
poliga poliga poliga – let this become more abundant!
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
We have seen those who were reformed to become bhAgavathas by sarvESvaran who has greatness due to having distinguished qualities and form like an attractive ocean, which is containing precious gems inside it, entered this earth to be present in abundance, sing with music, dance and engage everywhere; thus, very strong curses in the form of ignorance etc, which are unnatural for the AthmA, and which can be exhausted by experiencing the results have been destroyed; narakams which torture due to such avidhyA, karma etc, are broken; and thus, there was nothing present to be controlled by yama who controls such hellish regions; the defect of the times [kaliyuga], which is the cause for all the aforementioned aspects, will also be destroyed. As said in “kalau krutha yuganthasya“, see for yourself that this occurred by the presence of bhAgavathas who engage in virtuous activities from the times of krutha yuga; let this become more abundant! Following Sruthi (vEdham) which says “SAnthiS SAnthiS SAnthi:“, here too, “poliga” is repeated thrice. Since bhUtha is a gender neutral word, it indicates “ahRiNai” (in thamizh, animals, plants and non-living things are considered as ahRiNai, and celestial beings and humans are considered as uyarthiNai).
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- poliga poliga poliga – Let this become abundant! Let this become abundant! Let this become abundant! As in “SAnthiS SAnthiS SAnthi:” (Peace! Peace! Peace!), mangaLASAsanams (well wishes) done according to vaidhika method, will be done in repetition of thrice. When asked “Should nammAzhwAr also not perform mangaLASAsanam first to bhagavAn and then to bhAgavathas, as done by periyAzhwAr [in thiruppallANdu]?”, nanjIyar mercifully explained “Yes – In ‘vIRRirundhu Ezhulagu‘, AzhwAr performed mangaLASAsanam to bhagavAn and now he is performing mangaLASAsanam to bhAgavathas”. periyAzhwAr is following the footsteps of nammAzhwAr who is paramAchArya (the supreme AchArya).
- pOyiRRu val uyirch chAbam – The hard SApa (curse) for the AthmA, left. pApa (sin) is called SApa (curse) since as one who is cursed will have to go through the effects, here too, those who have sins, need to exhaust them by experiencing the results of them. The avidhyA (ignorance) etc which have affected the AthmA have gone now.
- naliyum naragamum naindha – Even the naraka (hellish regions) where the chEthanas, based on their karma, are brought and tortured, have been broken. Since there is no one to be handled in naraka, it fell into ruins.
When asked “What did the controllers of those places do?”, AzhwAr says,
- namanukku ingu yAdhu onRum illai – yama too can go and search in paramapadham [for his own upliftment], since he has nothing to do in the places where he was in charge.
- yAdhu onRum illai – Even dharmaputhra (yudhishtra) had to visit hell once [not to suffer for punishment, but just as a visit], there is none present even for such visits.
When asked “But this is the situation in krutha yugam [the first of the four yugams, when everyone is very pious]; would this happen in kali yugam [the last yugam, when impious nature is rampant?”, AzhwAr says,
- kaliyum kedum – Even that kali will be destroyed. First explanation – Whatever explained previously may be explained in the context of past, and this highlighting of AzhwAr, i.e., “kedum“, may be explained in the context of future. Another explanation – “kedum” is explained as present, highlighting that the bad times are already over and we are seeing the good times already.
When asked “How can you say this while kali yugam is happening?”, AzhwAr says,
- kaNdu koNmin – Do I need to instruct explicitly for what can be personally experienced by you?
When asked “How are you saying that, this [sufferings] will end?”, AzhwAr says,
- kadal vaNNan bUdhangaL – All these sufferings occur due to absence of bhAgavathas, and once they exist and start moving around, will these sufferings remain? “yathra ashtAkshara samsidhdha: … na thathra sancharishyanthi …” (In those places where those bhAgavathas who are faithful towards thirumanthram reside, there will be no disease, famine and robbery).
- kadal vaNNan bUdhangaL – Since the root for the word “bhU” indicates “that which exists [based on bhagavAn‘s existence'”, here bhAgavathas are indicated by the word “bUthangaL” (bhUthams). bhAgavathas constantly remember bhagavAn’s invigorating form and sustain themselves.
When asked “Isn’t it in paramapadham, where we find those who are captivated by his beauty?”, AzhwAr says,
- maN mEl – AzhwAr specifically highlights saying “right here”.
When asked “Is it like finding an oasis (water body) in a desert, we are finding one or two bhAgavathas in this samsAram (where devotion to bhagavAn is difficult to acquire)?”, AzhwAr says,
- maliyap pugundhu – As said in thiruvAimozhi 2.3.10 “adiyArgaL kuzhAngaL” (Groups of devotees), arriving in crowds.
- isai pAdi … – We have seen them out of great joy singing, dancing wildly and walking over the head of yama et al. uzhitharugai – roaming around freely without any fear.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org