SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr says “emperumAn who is having the greatness of being the lord of both spiritual and material realms, entered my heart and allowed me to enjoy all types of relationships with him”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
Eighth pAsuram. AzhwAr says “emperumAn who is the lord of spiritual and material realms pursued me with great intent and entered my heart; like nithyasUris, I too, giving up this material realm, am trying to hold on to him as all my relationships”.
mElAth thEvargaLum nilath thEvarum mEvith thozhum
mAlAr vandhina nAL adiyEn manaththE manninAr
sElEy kaNNiyarum perum selvamum nanmakkaLum
mElAth thAy thandhaiyum avarE ini AvArE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
mElAm – superior in all manners
dhEvargaLum – surIs [nithyasUris of spiritual realm]
nilam – in this material realm
thEvarum – bhAgavathas radiantly natured due to their knowledge about bhagavAn, love towards bhagavAn etc
mEvi – fully focussed being ananyaprayOjana (those who are don’t seek ulterior motives)
thozhum – to enjoy
mAlAr – one who is greater than all
(while having his supremacy)
ina nAL – now
vandhu – approaching me in a friendly manner
adiyEn – only considering my subordinate relationship with him
manaththE – in my heart
manninAr – became well settled;
ini – subsequently
(unlike aupAdhika bandhus (those relatives who became related due to karma))
sElEy kaNNiyarum – damsels with beautiful eyes
perum – great
selvamum – wealth
nal – with very good qualities
makkaLum – sons
mElAm – considered great due to their priyam (love) and hitham (concern for the well-being)
thAy thandhaiyum – mother and father
avarE – he only
AvAr – becomes;
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
emperumAn who is greater than all, is enjoyed with full focus by being ananyaprayOjana by the nithyasUris of the spiritual realm, who are superior in all manners and the bhAgavathas radiantly natured due to their knowledge about bhagavAn, love towards bhagavAn etc., in this material realm; such emperumAn, now approaching me in a friendly manner and only considering my subordinate relationship with him, became well settled in my heart; subsequently, for me, he only becomes damsels with beautiful eyes, great wealth, sons with very good qualities, mother and father who are considered great due to their priyam and hitham. AzhwAr Implies, whatever joy one may get from these persons, AzhwAr will get the same joy from emperumAn.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- mElAth thEvargaLum – nithyasUris.
- nilath thEvarum – SrIvaishNavas who are known as bhUsuras (the celestial beings of this earth).
- mEvith thozhum mAlAr – Just as iLaiya perumAL (lakshmaNa) and monkeys which do not know to distinguish between left and right hands, served emperumAn together, emperumAn, who is greater than all, is served by the residents of both spiritual and material realms together.
- ina nAL – Now. While I was unaware in the previous moment, now, I see the dawn.
When asked “what is the reason for his arrival?”, AzhwAr says,
- adiyEn – He came due to the relationship which is not possible to be severed.
When asked “what did he do after coming?”, AzhwAr says,
- manaththE manninAr – As said in mUnRAm thiruvanthAdhi 3 “manaththuLLAn mA kadal nIruLLAn malarAL thanaththuLLAn“, emperumAn who resides in the heart of great yOgis, milky ocean and the divine bosom of periya pirAttiyAr, became well settled in my heart, me who am a nithyasamsAri (eternally suffering soul).
When asked “what are you going to do now?”, AzhwAr says “Is there anything other than emperumAn for me to engage in”,
- sElEy … – Damsels who can captivate other by their glance, unlimited wealth, well behaved sons, parents who take care of the children even at the cost of their own sufferings – I tried holding on to emperumAn as all of these persons.
- avarE ini AvArE – I don’t need to worry about such relationships which cause suffering. subAla upanishath “mAthA pithA …” (SrIman nArAyaNa is the mother, father, brother etc). SrI rAmAyaNam ayOdhyA kANdam 58.31 “aham thAvath …” (lakshmaNa to sumanthra – I do not consider dhaSaratha chakravarthi as my father. I consider SrI rAma to be my brother, master, all relatives and father).
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org