SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In second pAsuram – Mother says “parAnkuSa nAyaki desires to witness the divine activities of krishNa with the gOpikAs (cowherd girls) in rAsa leelA”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, mother says “She (my daughter) is constantly and incoherently reciting [about] the thiruththuzhAy at the divine feet of krishNa who performed rAsa leelA”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Second pAsuram. Mother says – When she [my daughter] was asked “if sarvESvaran who is sarva rakshaka (protector of all), protected his own wealth [the material realm] during total deluge, would that be a reason for [me to have faith in] me attaining the goal [with his help]?”, she replies “that may not be the reason, but since he helped [the cowherd] girls of my age, why should he not help me?”.
valli sEr nuNNidai Aychchiyar thammodum
kollaimai seydhu kuravai piNaindhavar
nalladi mElaNi nARu thuzhAy enRE
sollumAl sUzh vinai AttinEn pAvaiyE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
valli – creeper
sEr – like
nuN – thin
idai – having waist
Aychchiyar thammodum – with the cowherd girls, mingling freely
(to rid their limits of shyness etc)
kollaimai – actions which cross the limits
seydhu – performed
kuravai – rAsa leelA [divine interactions between krishNa and gOpikAs]
piNaindhavar – the one who engaged, his
nal – beautiful (having steps that follow the dance)
adimEl – on the divine feet
aNi – worn
nARu – very fragrant
thuzhAy enRE – “thiruththuzhAy” (thuLasi) only
sollum – tells/recites;
sUzh – surrounded (to see her without any escape route)
vinaiyAttiyEn – I am having sins, my
pAvai – daughter.
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
krishNa engaged in rAsa leelA mingling with the cowherd girls who have creeper like thin waist, performing actions which cross the limits; my daughter keeps reciting the very fragrant thuLasi which were on the beautiful divine feet of such emperumAn; I am having sins which have surrounded me to make me witness such state of my daughter.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- valli sEr nuN idai – As said in periya thirumozhi 3.7.1 “vaLLi marungul” (having creeper-like thin waist), the girls who are having “vaLLi” (a type of creeper) like thin waist; Having a form like valli (creeper) and since there is no exact example for their waist, AzhwAr is saying “nuN idai” (very thin waist).
- Aychchiyar thammodum – My daughter said – if he can help many girls of my age, why can’t he help me who has all their cravings put together? In thirvAyppAdi (SrI gOkulam), emperumAn helped many girls of her age.
- kollaimai seydhu – engaging in activities that cross the limits of decency; ridding of their limits by manifesting his beauty etc.
- kuravai piNaindhavar – he strung himself in between them.
- nalladi – My daughter is desiring to get the thuLasi which were repeatedly trampled by the cowherd girls and krishNa. She is not of the nature of desiring for the thuLasi from the divine feet of brahmachAri emperumAn.
- nARu thuzhAy – By smelling the fragrance of the thuLasi, she can tell whether it was trampled by both of them or not. [How does she know?] “kalambagan” (a term to identify a garland made of two different flowers] has a unique fragrance [That is, when thuLasi comes in contact with lotus feet of the girls and the lotus feet of krishNa, it will have a special fragrance].
- enRE sollumAl – Chaste women would think about their dear consort but will not speak out their emotions. What happened to such chastity?
- sUzh vinaiyAttiyEn – I have sins which will surely keep me entrapped in this situation. It is due to my sin, I am revealing the words of her who is as said in SrI rAmAyaNam 58.85 “naivamAm kinchith abhravIth” (sumanthra’s words after leaving perumaL (SrI rAma), pirAtti (sIthA) and iLaiya perumAL (lakshmaNa) – sIthAp pirAtti was overwhelmed with grief and could not speak a word).
- pAvaiyE – My daughter who has the nirupAdhika sthrIthvam (top-most, unconditional chastity) who will never reveal her mind, is not in a situation where she needs to express herself vocally to attain her goal.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org