SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In eleventh pAsuram – AzhwAr says “On practicing this decad, one will surely become a faultless devotee; knowing this, practice this decad”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
kaNgaL kANdaRkariyanAyk karuththukku nanRum eLiyanAy
maN koL gyAlaththuyirkkellAm aruL seyyum vAnavar Isanaip
paN koL sOlai vazhudhi nAdan kurugaik kOn SatakOpan sol
paN koL Ayiraththip paththAl paththarAgak kUdum payiluminE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
kaNgaL – eyes
kANdaRku – to perceive
ariyanAy – being difficult
karuththukku – for the heart
nanRum eLiyanAy – being the target of elaborate experience
maN koL gyAlaththu – in the world which is dominated by land
uyirkku – for creatures
ellAm – all
aruL seyyum – doing favours (through archAvathAram)
vAnavar Isanai – the lord who gives out the same experience that is given to nithyasUris
paN koL – (due to the buzz of the bees) having abundant noise
sOlai – having garden
vazhudhi nAdan – being the leader of thiruvazhudhi nAdu (AzhwArthirunagari region)
kurugaik kOn – the lord of AzhwArthirunagari town
SatakOpan – nammAzhwAr
sol – mercifully spoke
paN koL – with meter
Ayiraththu – among the thousand pAsurams
ip paththAl – this decad (which highlights the simplicity of archAvathAra emperumAn)
paththar – having bhakthi [as said in SrI bhagavath gIthA 7.19 “sa mahAthmA sudhurlabha:” (such greatly devoted souls are very rare to find), very difficult to see]
Agak kUdum – would become;
payilumin – practice [this decad].
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
emperumAn is difficult for the eyes to perceive and is the target of elaborate experience for the heart; he is the lord who gives out the same experience that is given to nithyasUris, doing favours (through archAvathAram) for all creatures in this world which is dominated by land; nammAzhwAr who is the leader of thiruvazhudhi nAdu (AzhwArthirunagari region) which is having garden with abundant noise (due to the buzz of the bees) and the lord of AzhwArthirunagari town, mercifully spoke with meter on such emperumAn in this decad (which highlights the simplicity of archAvathAra emperumAn) among the thousand pAsurams; by [practicing] this decad, one would have bhakthi (great devotion); [hence, you] practice [this decad].
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- kaNgaL kANdaRkariyanAyk karuththukku nanRum eLiyanAy – AzhwAr is saying with the distaste of not having seen emperumAn. Being difficult to be seen by eyes, yet always in the forefront of the heart and hence unable to save oneself by accepting the fact “yes, he cannot be seen” [At least if we can forget, there will be less grief. Neither he can be seen, nor he can be forgotten]. For AzhwAr, viSlEsham (separation) is – agony due to the disturbance in internal togetherness as a result of not being able to see him externally (physically). samslESham (union) is – internal visualization which is as good as seeing him physically.
- maN koL … – As he was enjoyed by nithyasUris, the easily approachable emperumAn due to his presenting himself in archAvathAram to favour samsAris (worldly people) without discriminating them.
- paN koL sOlai – Very noisy/musical garden due to the buzzing of the bees. The sOlai resembles mukkOttai [mukkOttai is a temple of dhEvathAntharams such as dhurgA, vinAyaka – which will induce even a layman to sing great poems. Here, the garden of AzhwArthirunagari is such that, it will even make bees to sing beautiful tunes. Also explained as – the garden is inducing AzhwAr to sing beautiful tunes].
- vazhudhi nAdan – Mercifully spoken by nammAzhwAr who is the leader of thiruvazhudhi nAdu (bigger region) and AzhwArthirunagari (smaller town inside the bigger region).
- paN koL Ayiram – Just like the buzzing of bees became beautiful tunes without their knowledge, the overflowing devotion in the speech of nammAzhwAr became set in meter naturally.
- paththarAgak kUdum payiluminE – chEthanas (sentient beings) may achieve many different things, but it is very difficult for them to attain devotion towards bhagavAn; even that will be attained by practicing this decad. Even for those who don’t have sukrutham (virtues), SAsthra gyAnam (knowledge in SAsthram), sadhAchArya upadhESam (instructions from a genuine teacher) and unconditional mercy of bhagavAn, when they meditate upon the simplicity of archAvathAra emperumAn, they will acquire devotion towards bhagavAn; one will start thinking “Should we [at least] not be friendly towards sarvESvaran who has no unfulfilled desires out of motherly affection towards his devotees, assumes a form that is desired by his devotee, accepts what he is fed as food, enters different homes and never abandons his devotees?”. As soon as one hears “there is treasure buried here [in one’s house]”, he/she will feel very blissful and pursue it; similarly when AzhwAr mercifully says “paththar Agak kUdum” (one will become devotee [instead of ordering “You practice this decad to become a devotee”]), they will start practicing the decad.
AzhwAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
emperumAnAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
piLLAn thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nanjIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nampiLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
periyavAchchAn piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
In the next article we will enjoy the next decad.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org