SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
thIrndha adiyavar thammaith thiruththip paNikoLLa valla
Arndha pugazh achchudhanai amarar pirAnai emmAnai
vAyndha vaLa vayal sUzh thaN vaLam kurugUrch chatakOpan
nErndha Or Ayiraththippaththu aruvinai nIRu seyyumE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
thIrndha – determined (in ISwara being the upAya (means) and upEya (goal))
adiyavar thammai – devotees
thiruththi – reform them (first by eliminating their hurdles and bestowing them parabhakthi, paragyAnam etc)
paNi – eternal service
koLLavalla – one who is able to engage
Arndha – being complete (since he is omnipotent)
pugazh – having groups of qualities
achchudhanai – being the one who never leaves his devotees
amarar pirAnai – one who accepts their service as he would accept the service of nithyasUris
ammAnai – sarvESvara
vAyndha – good
vaLam – having richness
vayal – crop-fields
sUzh – surrounded
thaN – invigorating
vaLam – having abundant wealth
kurugUr – being the controller of AzhwArthirunagari
SatakOpan – nammAzhwAr
nErndha – spoke (about the greatness of the ones who have overwhelming devotion and condemnation of ones who lack that)
Or – distinguished
Ayiraththu – in the thousand pAsurams
i – this
paththu – decad
aruvinai – great sins (which stop one from getting emotionally charged while meditating upon the qualities of bhagavAn)
nIRu seyyum – will burn them into ashes
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
emperumAn reforms those devotees of him who are determined (in ISwara being the upAya (means) and upEya (goal), first by eliminating their hurdles and bestowing them parabhakthi, paragyAnam etc) and is able to engage them in eternal service; he is complete (since he is omnipotent); he is having groups of qualities; he is the one who never leaves his devotees; he is the one who accepts their service as he would accept the service of nithyasUris; nammAzhwAr who is the controller of AzhwArthirunagari which is having abundant wealth and is surrounded by good rich invigorating crop-fields, spoke (about the greatness of the ones who have overwhelming devotion and condemnation of ones who lack that) such emperumAn in this decad as part of the distinguished thousand pAsurams; such decad will burn the great sins (which stop one from getting emotionally charged while meditating upon the qualities of bhagavAn) into ashes.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- thIrndha adiyavar thammai – “thIrndha adiyavar” (determined devotees) are those who considers bhagavAn to be the prApakam (means) and prApyam (goal).
- thiruththip paNi koLLa valla – Reforming them means eliminating their hurdles in their [pursuing of the] prApakam and prApyam. Though one is in the state as said in SrI rAmAyaNam ayOdhyA kANdam 31.25 “aham sarvam karishyAmi” (Let me serve you in all ways), one should be as said in AraNya kANdam 15.7 “kriyathAmithi mAm vadha” (lakshmaNa to SrI rAma – order me in what should be done) [emperumAn should engage them in service when requested].
- Arndha pugazh achchudanai – Being with abundant auspicious qualities, one who has never heard the words “he abandoned the ones who surrendered unto him”.
- amarar pirAnai emmAnai – Accepting service from me who has no attachment towards him, as he would accept service from nithyasUris who are never touched by samsAram (material realm). AzhwAr is speaking based on his own experience of bhagavAn‘s achyuthathvam (quality of not abandoning his devotees) instead of speaking based on what he heard from others.
- vAyndha – vAygai – attaining. Not just thinking about bhagavAn’s qualities and being unable to sustain without such meditation, AzhwAr spoke being immersed in bhagavAn’s qualities that he condemned those who are indifferent when hearing about bhagavAn‘s qualities and praised those who are emotionally charged when hearing about bhagavAn’s qualities.
- vaLa vayal … – Mercifully spoken by nammAzhwAr who is the controller of AzhwArthirunagari which has the greatness of crop-fields (countryside) and cities. thaN – coolness. nErndha – spoken. The decad among the thousand pAsurams which were spoken by AzhwAr being emotionally charged due to meditating upon bhagavAn‘s qualities.
- aruvinai nIRu seyyum – The great sins which make one remain hard and indifferent when hearing about the qualities of bhagavAn, will be burnt to ashes.
AzhwAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
emperumAnAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
piLLAn thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nanjIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nampiLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
periyavAchchAn piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
In the next article we will enjoy the next decad.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org