SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Full series >> Third Centum >> Fifth decad
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In second pAsuram – AzhwAr says that those who are not captivated by Sriya:pathi‘s natural compassion with which he eliminates the hurdles of everyone and protects them, will be born in this samsAram (material realm) to experience great suffering.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s introduction as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
Second pAsuram. AzhwAr says “If we look at bhagavAn‘s compassion of eliminating the hurdles of samsAris who are unaware that ‘they have sufferings’, his helping of gajEndhrAzhwAn looks like helping of nithyasUris.
thaN kadal vattaththuLLAraith thamakkiraiyAth thadindhuNNum
thiN kazhaRkAl asurarkkuth thIngizhaikkum thirumAlaip
paNgaL thalaik koLLap pAdip paRandhum kuniththuzhalAdhAr
maN koL ulagil piRappAr valvinai mOdha malaindhE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
thaN – having coolness as a quality
kadal – surrounded by ocean
vattaththu – in earth
uLLArai – the residents
thamakku iraiyA – to merely fulfill their appetite
thadindhu – kill
uNNum – live by eating
(matching such hindrance for the people)
thiN – strong
kazhal – anklet highlighting valour
kAl – having in their feet
asurarkku – for the asuras (demons)
thIngu – hurting (in the form of destroying them)
izhaikkum – caused
thirumAlai – on the one who is being dear to pirAtti (SrI mahAlakshmi) (because of such destruction of demons)
paNgaL – tunes
thalaik koLLa – to be overwhelmed
pAdi – sing
paRandhum – rising into the sky (like flying)
kuniththu – dance
uzhalAdhAr – those who don’t go around everywhere
maN koL – having abundant of soil/land
ulagil – in the world
val – difficult to exhaust
vinai – great sins
malaindhu – being inflicted with
mOdha – to be smashed on the ground
piRappAr – will be born
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
asuras (demons) who have strong anklet in their feet highlighting their valour that help them kill and live by eating the residents of the earth which is surrounded by the cool ocean, merely to fulfill their appetite. emperumAn hurts (in the form of destroying) them and due to that is dear to pirAtti (SrI mahAlakshmi). Those who don’t overwhelmingly sing tunes, praising emperumAn, rising into the sky (like flying), dance and go around everywhere, will be born in this world which is having abundant of soil/land, to be smashed on the ground, being inflicted with the great sins which are difficult to exhaust.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
- thaN kadal – The demons would hurt the creatures and live off that.
What caused the demons to hurt them?
- thaN kadal vattaththuLLAr – The bondage due to residing in the same place is the only cause for the demons hurting others. The same reason that makes sarvESvaran protect them [because they are staying in the place owned by him] , is causing the demons to hurt them. nampiLLai explains SrI rAmAyaNam AraNya kANdam 1.20 “thE vayam bhavathA rakshyA:” (we are qualified to be protected by you) here. “thE vayam bhavathA rakshyA:” – the maharishis in the dhaNdakAraNyam said “We who are suffering is the apt target for the protection of your highness who has vowed to protect the sufferers” and SrI rAma asked them “Why should I protect you? Are you trying to convince me by your upAsanam (worship)?”, the maharishis say “there can be defects in our worship”; “bhavadhvishaya vAsina:” (we are living in your kingdom) – [but] we belong to your kingdom. In this aspect, there is no option to escape [from protecting us]. You may say “this is beyond the boundary of my protection” like it was said in thiruviruththam 33 “ivaRRin puRaththAL enReNNO” (are you thinking that parAnkuSa nAyaki is outside the boundary of your protection?) [in this SlOkam, the maharishis continue to say “both towns and forests, they are all under SrI rAma’s control only]. So, the demons would hurt them just because they live and move around in their vicinity.
- thamakkiraiyA – to nourish their bodies.
- thadindhuNNum – living by hurting others.
- thiN kazhaRkAl asurarkku – The demons who have the anklet of valour in their feet. Like SrI rAma has taken a vow to protect others saying as in SrI rAmAyaNam sundhara kANdam 29.10 “…Ethath vratham mama” (this is my vow), they are wearing this anklet highlighting their desire to hurt others. Even if one can escape the vow of SrI rAma’s protection, one cannot escape the vow of the demons to hurt others.
- thIngizhaikkum thirumAlai – If we consider “these demons were also created by us” and see their [eternal] bondage, our own wealth [people of the world etc] will be destroyed by them. Thinking “How can we protect our world even if it takes to destroy these demons?”, emperumAn would say as in SrI rAmAyaNam yudhdha kANdam 18.3 “mithrabhAvEna …” (even if they pretend to be friends, I will protect them) and pirAtti would say as in SrI rAmAyaNam sundhara kANdam 58.44 “… bhavEyam SaraNam hi va:” (sIthA pirAtti to the lady-demons who are guarding her – I will protect you all) and thus would discuss/inquire ways to protect the devotees by pulling out the weeds only.
- thirumAlai – paNgaL thalai koLLap pAdi – [Singing the glories of Sriman nArAyaNan with tunes] Five explanations:
- Knowing that the devotees are singing about SrIman nArAyaNan, the tunes would come up and say “please use me, please use me”, i.e., singing with abundance of tunes.
- Singing with importance to tunes.
- Singing with the best tune.
- Singing out of devotion, without proper tunes.
- Singing in a tune which manifests various tunes.
- paRandhum … – Those who are not dancing in a manner that their feet do not touch the ground and spend their time travelling and doing this only. Those who are not jumping up and down and dancing as their routine.
- maN koL … – “valvinai malaindhu mOdha maNkoL ulagil piRappAr” (they will take birth in the world which has land, being forcefully pushed by their sins). Those who remain stiff and indifferent without showing any emotions while experiencing bhagavAn, cannot do anything when they are severely affected by chAthurthikam (a type of deadly fever). Here “piRappu” (birth) is indicated for other sorrows such as old age, disease and death.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://granthams.koyil.org
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
SrIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org
pl reproduce the pasuram in tamil for easier reading