SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In sixth pAsuram, AzhwAr, due to attachment towards the goal, again asks “when will I attain your divine feet which are perfectly enjoyable?”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr says “When will I who moved away from you being attached to worldly pleasures since time immemorial, attain you who has infinite abilities?”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
Sixth pAsuram. AzhwAr says “Considering me, there is no way to reach him. Considering you, there is no way I can escape you [your grace]. This being the case, when will I reach your perfectly enjoyable divine feet?”. [Also explained as] AzhwAr saying “When will I who went astray being attached to worldly pleasures, Ignoring the vidhi (do’s) and nishEdham (dont’s ) [that are mentioned in SAsthram], attain your divine feet?”.
kiRpan killEn enRilan muna nALAl
aRpa sArangaL avai suvaiththu aganRozhindhEn
paRpal Ayiram uyir seydha paramA! nin
naRpoRsOdhith thAL naNuguvadhu engyAnRE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
muna nAL Al – in previous times
kiRpan enRu ilan – (if told to “do” – that is for the well-being) I will disagree saying ‘I am incapable’;
killEn enRu ilan – (if told to “refrain” – that it is not good to engage in evil activities) I will not avoid engaging in such activities
thus being, indifferent towards vidhi and nishEdham,
aRpam – very insignificant
sArangaL – having attractions
avai – those diverse evil aspects
suvaiththu – enjoyed them (wrongly thinking that they have real attraction)
aganRu ozhindhEn – (due to that) I have gone far away [from emperumAn]
pal pal – many many
Ayiram – countless
uyir – types of life forms
seydha – able to create (as desired)
paramA – oh one who has great ability!
nin – your (you who is apt master)
nal – spiritual (not made of worldly matter)
pon – very relishable
sOdhi – radiant
thAL – divine feet
naNuguvadhu – to attain
engyAnru – when?
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
In previous times, (if told to “do” – that is for the well-being) I will disagree saying ‘I am incapable’; (if told to “refrain” – that it is not good to engage in evil activities) I will not avoid engaging in such activities; thus being, indifferent towards vidhi and nishEdham, I enjoyed those diverse evil aspects that are having very insignificant attractions (wrongly thinking that they have real attraction) and (due to that) I have gone far away [from emperumAn]. oh one who has great ability to create (as desired) many many countless types of life forms! When will I attain your (you who is apt master) spiritual (not made of worldly matter), very relishable, radiant divine feet? Implies that, when highly capable you are present who can facilitate me attaining you, there is no way I [who is insignificane/powerless] can attain you [independently].
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- kiRpan killEn enRu ilan – When he says “AzhwAr! in case of bhagavath vishayam (spiritual goals), nothing more than ‘ichchA’ (desire) is required; and the result is, ‘apunarAvruththi lakshaNa mOksham‘ (eternal joyful kainkaryam in paramapadham, with no return to sufferings in material realm) ; why can’t you do something [adhvEsham – not having hatred towards bhagavAn, Abhimukyam – being friendly towards bhagavAn, etc] for this?” and I would not say “Alright, I will do as you say”. When he says “Attachment to worldly pleasures, efforts are difficult to do and the results are not permanent. So, why don’t you refrain from engaging in such activities?” and I would not say “Alright, I will refrain from such aspects”.
When asked “Since when are you not following the orders and refraining from prohibited activities?”, AzhwAr says,
- muna nALAl – Forever (since time immemorial), this is my way of life.
When asked, “Are there very attractive aspects that keep you away from me?”, AzhwAr says,
- aRpa sArangaL – Yes. There are some aspects which keep me away from you. There is nothing worthy in them. Like the honey in muLLi (a type of jasmine flower) which is very very little. There are many such aspects. I submerged into those aspects which have acquired taste [not having natural taste] and lost your highness as said in periya thirumozhi 1.1.1 “OdinEn” (ran).
When asked “If you had lost me for so long, what do you want me to do now?”, AzhwAr says,
- pal pal Ayiram uyir seydha paramA! – Creating life forms means – connecting AthmA with bodies so that they have the ability to stand firm, move around, make progress etc. Oh one who created countless entities! if you can create entities that did not exist before [here, as said before, the transformation of subtle matter to gross matter and connecting that gross matter with AthmA is highlighted as creating entities that did not exist before], is it difficult for you to bless me with a quality [to have attachment towards you]?
- nin … – When will I come and attain your beautiful, attractive, radiant divine feet?
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org