SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr says “your nature which is radiant from all aspects cannot be explained by me too”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Third pAsuram. When emperumAn says “Leave those worldly people who have not started approaching me; but can you, who are different from them, speak about my glories?” AzhwAr says “even I cannot speak about your glories”.
paranjOdhi nI paramAy nin igazhndhu pin maRROr
paranjOdhi inmaiyil padiyOvi nigazhginRa
paranjOdhi nin uLLE padar ulagam padaiththa – em
paranjOdhi gOvindhA! paNburaikka mAttEnE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
paramAy – being supreme
paranjOdhi – one who is having unlimited radiant form
nI – you;
nin – you
igazhndhu – except
pin maRRu – any other
Or paranjOdhi – a radiant entity who is supreme
inmaiyil – due to non-existence
padi Ovi – not having example
nigazhginRa – present
paranjOdhi – being glorified as “paranjyOthi”
nin uLLE – in your will
padar – vast
ulagam – world
padaiththa – created
em paranjOdhi – one who manifested to me the unsurpassed radiance of not being touched by the qualities of the created world
gOvindhA – Oh one who is having radiance of tending to cows which is even greater than your supremacy!
paNbu – your radiant nature that is due to your supreme unique forms, you having no example, your supreme nature of being the cause for this world and your unlimited simplicity
uraikka – to sing/glorify
mAttEn – I am incapable
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
You are the supreme one who is having unlimited radiant form; you are glorified as “paranjyOthi” due to non-existence of any other supreme radiant entity except you; you created this vast world by your will, still remain untouched by the qualities of the created world and manifested to me this aspect which is of unsurpassed radiance; oh one who is having radiance of tending to cows, which is even greater than your supremacy! I am incapable of singing/ glorifying your radiant nature that is due to your supreme unique forms, you having no example, your supreme nature of being the cause for this world and your unlimited simplicity.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- paranjOdhi nI paramAy – Being supreme – you are the supreme light. [The reason for paramAy – being supreme] When someone has a little bit of beauty and wealth, others will glorify saying “there is none more beautiful than you; there is none wealthier than you”; but in emperumAn‘s case it is so complete that there is no other entity which has such beauty, wealth etc – thus you are the supreme light in the true sense of supremacy as said in katOpanishath “thasya bhAsA sarvamidham vibhAthi” (Due to the radiance of that brahmam, all other radiant objects are shining).
- nin … – In this world, even though one may have beauty and wealth as comparable or greater, still he may be glorified saying “is there any one equal or greater than you?” Unlike that, since there is no supreme radiance like you, you cannot be compared to any one else and none can be cited as example for you. You are such a supremely radiant person [who cannot be explained by any other example].
- nin uLLE … – Though one may not even have full control over oneself, he may be glorified saying “you are the controller of all” Unlike that, it is your minute will that resulted in the creation of this vast world – you are my radiant lord. As said in “puthrasthE jAtha:” (you have given birth to a son), this radiance is acquired after creating this world [like the radiance acquired by a woman who gives birth to a child]. The initial “paranjOdhi” (supreme radiance) is the natural radiance of bhagavAn. Here, it is the radiance acquired due to being the cause.
Even if the radiance of his supremacy can be understood/comprehended,
- gOvindhA – the radiance of your simplicity is beyond comprehension.
- paNbu – your attributes. While I can experience it, I cannot explain it.
- gOVindhA paNburaikka mAttEnE – As said in thiruviruththam 98 “nenjAl ninaipparidhAl veNNey UNennum Inach chol” (That he was insulted saying that he stole and ate butter, cannot be comprehended in the heart), if it cannot be comprehended in the heart, how can it be explained?
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org