SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In third pAsuram – AzhwAr says “one should consider ayan malai (a hill) which is part of thirumalai as the goal”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Third pAsuram. AzhwAr says “Do we need all these goals? the hill nearby thirumalai itself can be considered as the goal”.
payan alla seydhu payanillai nenjE
puyal mazhai vaNNar purindhuRai kOyil
mayal migu pozhil sUzh mAlirunchOlai
ayan malai adaivadhu adhu karumamE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
nenjE – Oh my heart!
payanalla – useless actions
seydhu – performing
payan – use
illai – no
puyal – drizzles and drops
mazhai – like a black cloud
vaNNar – one who is like cloud that showers rain without discriminating between land and water (sea)
purindhu – being friendly
uRai – residing eternally
kOyil – abode
mayal migu – that place which captivates the one who sees
pozhil – garden
sUzh – surrounded by
mAlirunchOlai – in thirumalai
ayal – near by
malai – mountain
adaivadhu adhuvE – reaching it alone exclusively
karumam – it is natural activity – must be done.
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Oh heart! there is no use in performing useless activities. emperumAn is like a black cloud that holds drizzles and droplets of water and showers rain without discriminating between land and water (sea); being friendly, he is residing eternally in the beautiful abode of mAlirunchOlai surrounded by garden that captivates; reaching a mountain near thirumalai is a natural activity [for the AthmA] and must be done.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- payanalla … – AzhwAr considers bhagavAn‘s presence in paramapadham (spiritual realm) and incarnations as useless [since they are unreachable due to the place (too distant) and time (past); he considers azhagar emperumAn‘s presence here and now as the most worthy aspect]. Alternatively, this is explained as engaging in useless activities which are of no use. In AzhwAr’s case [i.e., emperumAn’s presence here], both the process and the result are of real use; this is what is explained in bhagavath gIthA 9.2 “susukam karthum” (joyful to perform); AzhwAr is really thinking here about ascending to heaven (where there is joy that is still mixed with sorrow) and the process for that is difficult too.
- nenjE – Oh heart! you well understand the difference between vishayAntharam (worldly pleasures) and bhagavath vishayam (transcendental pleasures). Alternative explanation – mind/heart is the common aspect that leads one to bondage and liberation; knowing well about this, you only tried to shy away from emperumAn.
- puyal mazhai vaNNar purindhurai kOyil – Now, describing the nature of the result. Two explanations – 1) the temple that is the residence of the one who is as beautiful as a laden cloud, who fully manifests such beauty for the sake of others; 2) the temple that is the residence of the one who is as merciful like a laden cloud which showers the rain irrespective of land/water and who fully manifests such mercy for the sake of others. From these two explanations, we can understand that both the means [his mercy] and end [his beauty] are bhagavAn only.
- mayal migu pozhil sUzh – the dark place due to the coverings of the gardens; alternatively – due to its abundantly beautiful/enjoyable scenery, it will mesmerize those who see it.
- mAlirunchOlai ayan malai – the hill that is glorified due to its proximity to thirumalai only. Like it is said in samkshEpa rAmAyaNam “agasthya bhrAthA” (brother of sage agasthya – is a well-recognizable identity for his brother even over his own name), this hill is known as the neighbouring hill of thirumalai.
- adaivadhu adhu karumamE – this is the only action that is to be done; all other actions are to be given up.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org