SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In seventh pAsuram – AzhwAr says “You have bestowed me a mind which aims only to experience you by glorifying and worshiping you; Is anything difficult for you who is SrI vAmana?”
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
thirivikkiraman sendhAmaraik kaN emmAn en senganivAy
uruvil polindha veLLaip paLingu niRaththan(an) enRu enRu uLLip
paravip paNindhu pal Uzhi Uzhi nin pAdha pangayamE
maruvith thozhum manamE thandhAy vallai kAN en vAmananE!
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
thirivikkiraman – one who measured the worlds and won over them
sem – reddish
thAmarai – lotus flower like
kaN – with the eyes
emmAn – my lord who accepted my service to say “jitham” (victory to him)
en sem kani vAy uruvil polindha veLLaip paLingu niRaththan – one who let me experience the beautiful row of white pearl like teeth inside the reddish mouth (lips) and made me exist for him exclusively
enRu enRu – thus saying each aspect individually
uLLi – contemplate in the heart
paravi – (as the experience is not subdued in the heart, it is expressed by) speaking in a disorderly manner
paNindhu – (due to that overwhelming love) bowing (at the lotus feet)
pal – many
Uzhi Uzhi – until time exists in different types of kalpa (i.e., forever)
nin – your
pAdha pangayamE – enjoyable lotus feet
maruvi – fitting well (without any other expectation)
thozhum – serving
manamE – mind
thandhAy – you bestowed
en vAmananE – Oh my vAmana!
vallai kAN – you are very capable
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Like he measured the worlds and won over them, he, my lord showed his reddish lotus flower like eyes, won over me and accepted my service; he let me experience the beautiful row of white pearl like teeth inside the reddish mouth (lips) and made me exist for him exclusively. “You thus made me contemplate these aspects individually in the heart and speak about them in a disorderly manner, made me bow at your lotus feet (due to that great love) and bestowed me the mind that made me fit well (without any other expectation) at your enjoyable lotus feet until time exists in different types of kalpa (i.e., forever). Oh vAmana! you are very capable!”.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- vallai kAN en vAmananE – Like you tricked vAmana by your beauty so he does not heed to the advice of SukrAchArya et al, you have tricked me to be fully exist for you.
- thirivikkiraman – With three feet, he brought all the worlds under his lotus feet.
- sem thAmaraik kaN emmAn – through his glance, he brought me under his lotus feet.
- en sem kanivAy … – After AzhwAr said as in jithanthE sthOthram 1 “jitham …” (victory), he smiled [revealing his row of pearl like teeth]. His lips became red after transforming Azhwar to be fully existing for him – in such lips. Due to the visible contrast (red lips – white teeth), one who is having the row of pure white teeth.
- enRu enRu uLLi – In the worldly pleasures (bodily beauty of opposite sex), one can contemplate upon that only when the inside is not seen (i.e., thought externally some one may look beautiful, the inside of the body is still made of flesh, blood, etc., which look disgusting only]; but bhagavath vishayam can be continuously meditated upon [since bhagavAn’s body is pure and divine].
- paravip paNindhu – calling him out without any order, falling at his lotus feet without any self-esteem.
This joy is not limited for one day and gone the next day –
- pal Uzhi Uzhi – kalpa (day of brahmA which is several million years) after kalpa; you bestowed me a mind to worship your most enjoyable lotus feet forever without any expectation. Also explained as – since worldly pleasures are temporary and not enjoyable, the mind will not be fixated on any single thing for a longer duration as mentioned by arjuna in bhagavadh gIthA 6.34 “chanchalam hi mana:” (the wavering mind); but since you are permanent and most enjoyable, you bestowed me a mind that will fit well in your lotus feet. You did not just reform my old mind – you have given me a new mind from the store room as said by krishNa in bhagavadh gIthA 11.8 “… dhivyam dhadhAmi …” (I am giving you a divine set of eyes to behold my universal form which cannot be seen by your material eyes). On seeing the mind, one cannot say that it was the same old mind which got transformed – it looked like a brand new mind.
- en vAmananE vallai kAN – Is this vAmana form the tool for you to give and take? By showing this vAmana form you have reformed my mind and given a new look to it; it is this same beauty through which you took away the worlds which mahAbali considered as his own; AzhwAr becomes delighted saying “vallai kAN” (you are very capable).
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org