SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
மதுசூதனை அன்றி மற்று இலேன் என்று எத்தாலும் கருமம் இன்றி
துதி சூழ்ந்த பாடல்கள் பாடி ஆட நின்று ஊழி ஊழி தொறும்
எதிர் சூழல் புக்கு எனைத்தோர் பிறப்பும் எனக்கே அருள்கள் செய்ய
விதி சூழ்ந்ததால் எனக்கேல் அம்மான் திரிவிக்கிரமனையே
madhusUdhanai anRi maRRu ilEn enRu eththAlum karumam inRi
thudhi sUzhndha pAdalgaL pAdi Ada ninRu Uzhi Uzhi thoRum
edhir sUzhal pukku enaiththOr piRappum enakkE aruLgaL seyya
vidhi sUzhndhadhAl enakkEl ammAn thirivikkiramanaiyE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
madhusUdhanai anRi – Other than madhusUdhanan (who removed my obstacles)
maRRu – any other goal
ilEn – I don’t have
enRu – saying thus
eththAlum – with anything
karumam – expectation for a result
inRi – not having
thudhi – in the form of sthOthram (praises)
sUzhndha – covering (his countless qualities)
pAdalgaLai – songs
ninRu – staying firm (without attachment for ulterior motives)
pAdi – sing
Adi – dance
Uzhi Uzhi thoRum – kalpa (a day of brahmA) after kalpa
enaiththu – many
Or – unique/distinct
piRappum – in births
edhir – to be friendly with me
sUzhal pukku – appearing with tricks
enakkE – exclusively for me
aruLgaL – favours (from initial merciful blessing to total devotion towards him)
seyya – to do
enakku – for me
El – position himself
ammAn – being my lord
thirivikkiramanai – thrivikrama
vidhi – mercy in the form of unavoidable destiny
sUzhndhadhu – wrapped
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Saying “I don’t have any goal other than madhusUdhanan (who removed my obstacles)” without any expectation for any results, I sing and dance covering his countless qualities in the form of sthOthrams (praises); to transform me to such state, he took many many distinct/unique births in kalpa (day of brahmA) after kalpa, assuming different forms to do different tricks to become friendly with me; such lord thrivikrama of mine who positioned himself to favour me exclusively, became overwhelmed/wrapped with mercy in the form of unavoidable destiny.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- madhusUdhanai anRi maRRu ilEn enRu – AzhwAr‘s state is such that he will not have anyone, other than the one who has the quality of eliminating the hurdles, as his refuge.
What is the difference between us who say the same thing when our mind is in sathva guNam (goodness) and AhwAr?
- eththAlum karumam inRi – His actions would be in line with his words. He would discard fake-goals and fake-means and would consider that anything other than [emperumAn] himself is of no use to him.
- thudhi sUzhndha … – two explanations – songs in the form of praises; songs which will consume his qualities which are to be praised. He made me such that I sing his glories kalpa after kalpa.
- ninRu – Instead of looking for favours in return as said in yajur vEdham 1.8 “dhEhimE …” (you give me something and I will give you something back) and leaving you, staying firmly.
When asked “what is the reason for his favours?”, AzhwAr says “vidhi sUzhndhadhAl” (because he was wrapped with compassion):
- edhir sUzhal pukku – When someone tries to catch a person, he would come from the opposite direction; similarly, whenever AzhwAr took birth in this material realm, emperumAn too appeared to catch him. AzhwAr was born due to his karma (virtues/vices) and emperumAn was born due to his compassion. sUzhal also means avathAram (incarnation). AzhwAr says “enaiththOr piRappum edhir sUzhal pukku enakkE aruLgaL seyya vidhi sUzhndhadhAl” (all these births of emperumAn while I was born is due to his being wrapped in compassion and wanting to shower his mercy on me). vidhi means bhagavAn‘s krupA (mercy). Why is bhagavAn’s krupA said as vidhi (destiny)? This is because he cannot avoid showing his compassion (he is bound by it); like we cannot fulfil all our desires freely due to our karma, he too cannot fulfil his desires due to his own compassion; SrI rAmAyaNam sundhara kANdam 38.34 “… vadhArhamapi kAkuthstha: krupayA parypAlayath ||” (SrI rAma who is a descendant of kakuthstha, saved kAkAsura due to compassion) – their heritage is such that they will protect others even at the cost of harming themselves. He even avoided killing kAkAsura who was worthy to be killed [Here it is explained that though he wanted to kill kAkAsura (indhra’s demoniac son who assumed the form of a crow) for hurting sIthA pirAtti, he was overwhelmed with compassion and ended up forgiving kAkAsura].
- enakkEl … – bhagavAn being sarvESvaran (lord of all), took birth as a dwarf, measured the worlds in three feet and placed all the worlds under his lotus feet and mingled with everyone; that act of simplicity looks like supremacy when compared to his being wrapped with compassion to accept me.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org