SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the eighth pAsuram – AzhwAr says “You being unique and beyond the capacity of mind/words and still uniting with me – I cannot explain this great quality of yours”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Eighth pAsuram. AzhwAr says “I cannot speak about this great quality of yours, where you being the leader of the nithyasUris who have unblemished knowledge, still united with me without checking my lowly nature”.
பொன் முடி அம் போர் ஏற்றை எம்மானை – நால் தடம் தோள்
தன் முடிவு ஒன்று இல்லாத தண் துழாய் மாலையனை
என் முடிவு காணாதே என்னுள் கலந்தானை
சொல் முடிவு காணேன் நான் சொல்லுவது என்? சொல்லீரே
pon mudi am pOr ERRai emmAnai – nAl thadam thOL
than mudivu onRu illAdha thaN thuzhAy mAlaiyanai
en mudivu kANAdhE ennuL kalandhAnai
sol mudivu kANEn nAn solluvadhu en? solleerE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
pon – radiant
mudi – having a crown
am pOr ERRai – being very prideful
emmAnai – the master who accepted my service (by showing such pride of full independence)
nAl – four types of
thadam – huge
thOL – having divine shoulders
than – for his greatness
mudivu onRillAdha – having no end
(explaining about that which highlights his greatness and sweetness)
thaN – cool
thuzhAy mAlaiyanai – one who is wearing a divine thuLasi garland
en mudivu kANAdhE – (like there is no end for his greatness) without seeing my lowliness
en uL – in my heart
kalandhAnai – one who mingled/united
nAn – me
I can only understand myself (but cannot explain to others)
sol – to explain through words
mudivu – method
kANEn – not seeing
solluvadhu – explaining this
en – how?
solleer – (if possible) please do that (he is saying this to worldly people).
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
emperumAn is wearing a radiant crown; showing such prideful form he turned me into his servitor and became my master; he is having four (types of) divine shoulders and has no end to his greatness; his greatness and sweetness are highlighted by his cool divine thuLasi garland; just like there is no end to his greatness, there is no end to my lowliness too – he entered into the heart of of such lowly me and mingled with me; (while I can understand his glories) I cannot see any method to speak about his glories; AzhwAr says to worldly people “like you glorify material joyful aspects, you speak about emperumAn‘s glories if possible”.
It is indicated that the enjoyable nature of emperumAn who is different from everything else is beyond explanation. en mudivu kANAdhE – this is also explained as “unable to witness my sufferings in separation from him”.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- pon mudi am pOr ERRai – Having a crown which shows his control over both vibhUthis (realms – paramapadham and samsAram) that manifests his lordship over all.
- emmAnai – by showing his ultimate lordship, he placed me in my ultimate servitude.
- nAl thadam thOL … – four, flourishing shoulders; while speaking about emperumAn who is wearing thuLasi garland, even the vEdham gives up saying “yathO vAchO nivarthanthE” (unable to comprehend the glories of paramAthmA, speech and mind give up and return). thuLasi garland is the identity of the entity whose glories cannot be comprehended.
- en mudivu …. – Like there is no limit for the goodness in emperumAn, there is no limit to the faults in AzhwAr.
- en mudivu kANAdhE – Not seeing my level. As said in SrIvishNu sahasranAmam “avigyAthA” (ignorant), ignoring my faults and closing his eyes, he came and mingled with me. Another explanation – unable to witness me trying to finish myself in separation that was highlighted in thiruvAimozhi 2.4 “AdiyAdi“, he came and united with me.
- sol mudivu kANEn nAn – Trying to explain this quality of mingling with me (sauSeelyam), I went through the same difficulty as vEdham which tried to explain bhagavAn‘s quality named “Anandham” (bliss) [in thaiththirIya upanishadh Anandhavalli]. Also explained as AzhwAr saying “When he allows me to experience him, the taste which I acquire out of this can only be experienced and cannot be explained to others”.
- solluvadhu en solleerE – Oh [worldly] people! You who are able to share your worldly experiences! Are you able to explain his glories?
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org