SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the ninth pAsuram – parAnkuSa nAyaki‘s mother asks “what are you planning to do in the case of parAnkuSa nAyaki who is desiring for you and is suffering permanently, due to separation from you?”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, parAnkuSa nAyaki‘s mother asks “You have the tools to protect others – what are your thoughts on her?”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
In the ninth pAsuram – When asked what was parAnkuSa nAyaki‘s suffering?, parAnkusa nAyaki’s mother explains that suffering in this pAsuram; It is also explained as parAnkuSa nAyaki’s mother asking emperumAn “What are you planning to do for her who is desiring to see your beautiful hand and the divine disc (in your hand), who did not even know sunrise or sunset and is desiring for you?”.
Ninth pAsuram – When parAnkuSa nAyaki‘s mother said “her daughter suffered”, she was asked “What type of suffering?”. She replies to that “She has suffered so much and there is nothing more to suffer further”.
patta pOdhu ezhu pOdhu aRiyAL virai
mattalar thaN thuzhAy ennum sudar
vatta vAy nudhi nEmiyIr! numadhu
ittam enkol ivvEzhaikkE?
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Due to lack of sleep, not having woken up from sound sleep with clear mind,
patta pOdhu – sunset
ezhu pOdhu – sunrise
aRiyAL – she does not know
virai – fragrance
mattu – honey
alar – spread well
thaN thuzhAy – fresh thuLasi
ennum – says
sudar – radiant
vattam – round
vAy – mouth
nudhi – sharpness
nEmiyIr – Oh the one having sudharSana chakra!
numadhu – for you (who has the tool to eliminate hurdles and allow in close proximity)
ittam – thoughts
ivvEzhaikku – for this poor girl who is desirous
en kol – what?
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
parAnkuSa nAyaki does not know sunset or sunrise (due to lack of sleep, and not having woken up from sound sleep with clear mind). She joyfully says “fresh thuLasi with well spread fragrance and honey”. Oh one who holds the radiant sudharSana chakra which has round mouth and sharpness! What are your (who has the tool to eliminate hurdles and allow in close proximity) thoughts for this poor girl who is desirous [of attaining you]?
The inherent meaning is – is the sudharSana chakra present to sustain her or to finish her?
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- sudar vatta vAy nudhi nEmiyIr – periyavAchchAn piLLai quotes nanjIyar saying “sudharSana chakra would keep away from those who like it and finish them by showing its beauty; and it would finish those who hate it by getting close to them and destroying them”.
- patta pOdhu ezhu pOdhu aRiyAL – She does not know sunrise and sunset. When asked if she knew anything,
- virai mattalar thaN thuzhAy ennum – She would speak joyfully about the thuLasi [which emperumAn is wearing]; virai – what wonderful fragrance! mattu – what wonderful honey! alar – what wonderful flower! thaN – what wonderful coolness! and so on. She is saying as said in thiruvAimozhi 6.7.2 “ummudaiya pErum thArum ozhiya – aRiyAL” (She would not know anything beyond your name, garland etc).
Hearing this emperumAn became too joyful and raised his sudharSana chakra thinking “[finally] there is someone who is so attached to me” [In arumpadham, bhagavath gIthA SlOkams 7.18 “udhArAs sarva EvaithE” (all those approach me are generous – for letting me manifest my generosity towards them) and 7.19 “bahunAm janmanAm … sa mahAthmA sa dhurlabha:” (those who accept vAsudhEva as everything are great souls and are rare to find)].
- sudar vatta vAy nudhi nEmiyIr – Oh one who has radiant, round mouthed, sharp sudharSana chakra in your hand! Why so much adjective for the chakra (when in depressed mood)? Even more than parAnkuSa nAyaki, her mother herself became attracted to the beautiful hand holding the chakra and glorifies that with adjectives. Do you use the same tool to finish both your devotees and others? AzhwAr himself said in thiruvAimozhi 1.7.1 “Azhippadai andhaNanai maRaviyai inRi manaththu vaippArE” (without forgetting, they keep that pure emperumAn (who holds the weapon named chakra) in their mind). AzhwArs are of the nature that they melt on seeing emperumAn with his divine hand and chakra.
- numadhu ittam en kol – Are you planning to finish her like you finished rAvaNa, hiraNya et al? Are you planning to let her enjoy the beauty of the divine disc and the divine hand, just like nithyasUris? Are you planning to make her forget about her own true nature and about you (bhagavAn), and let her roam around like samsAris (worldly people) taking care of their stomachs [feeding it fully] and wearing nice clothes ? What are you thinking about her attaining her goal?
- ivvEzhaikkE – What are you thinking about this girl who is completely desirous to attain you?
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org