SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the end – AzhwAr says that those who learn this decad can perform kainkaryam of offering garlands to the divine feet of emperumAn without having to go through the difficulties which he himself went through.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
In the end – AzhwAr says that those who are able to recite this decad will enter the assembly of nithyasUris as he himself prayed and will engage in kainkaryam at the divine feet of sarvESvaran as explained in thiruviruththam 21 “sUttu namAlai” (offering pure garland).
வாட்டம் இல் புகழ் வாமனனை – இசை
கூட்டி வண் சடகோபன் சொல் – அமை
பாட்டு ஓர் ஆயிரத்து இப் பத்தால் – அடி
சூட்டல் ஆகும் அம் தாமமே
vAttam il pugazh vAmananai – isai
kUtti vaN satakOpan sol – amai
pAttu Or Ayiraththu ip paththAl – adi
sUttal Agum am dhAmamE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
vAttam – (since emperumAn appeared in front of her, his worries disappeared) worries
il – not having
pugazh – having auspicious qualities
vAmananai – to vAmana
vaN – generous
satakOpan – AzhwAr
isai – with music
kUtti – added
sol – spoke
amai – having peace (due to fullness in definition)
Or – unique
pAttu – pAsurams (songs)
Ayiraththu – in the thousand
ippaththAl – through this decad
adi – at the lotus feet of such vAmana
am – beautiful
dhAmam – garland
sUttalAgum – can be submitted
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
vAmanan emperumAn, who has no worries (since his worries got eliminated by appearing in front of AzhwAr) and has many auspicious qualities, was spoken with music by nammAzhwAr in this peaceful decad among the unique thousand pAsurams; such decad facilitates those who recite it to submit beautiful garland (as service) at the lotus feet of such vAmanan emperumAn.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- vAttamil pugazh vAmananai – If he does not appear in front of AzhwAr, his glories will be minimised.
- vAmananai – One who begged to (mahAbali to) get back his own property.
- isai kUtti – Just like a flower blossoms with fragrance, these pAsurams blossomed with music/tune.
- vaN satakOpan sol – Like SrI vAlmIki is glorified in SrI rAmAyaNam bAla kANdam 2.12 “udhAradhIr muni:” (the sage who is having great intelligence) – nammAzhwAr is most generous – instead of stopping at just enjoying emperumAn in his heart, he sang them as pAsurams so that others too can experience the same.
- amai pAttu Or Ayiraththu – being wholesome in proper words and meanings
- ippaththAl … – Those who can recite this decad, can perform eternal kainkaryam of offering fresh garlands at emperumAn’s divine feet. AzhwAr‘s sufferings are due to his desiring to perform kainkaryam and not being able to perform that; just like father’s wealth will automatically be inherited by the son, those who learn this decad need not suffer like AzhwAr, and will enter the assembly of nithyasUris and experience the bliss (of kainkaryam) as desired (and achieved by AzhwAr).
Finally, nampiLLai summarizes the contents of this decad briefly.
- In the first pAsuram, parAnkuSa nAyaki‘s mother said that emperumAn who is naturally helpful towards his devotees considering their danger alone as the trigger for his help, did not come to help her daughter when she was suffering.
- In the second pAsuram, when reminded about the hurdles, she asks “are the hurdles more powerful than bANAsura’s thousand arms (which you destroyed)?”.
- In the third pAsuram, she asks “when you are not ready to help my daughter now, why did you help sIthA pirAtti in a similar manner before?”.
- In the fourth pAsuram, she says “unable to bear the thought of her finding fault in emperumAn, her daughter quotes the same incident to highlight his generosity”.
- In the fifth pAsuram, she says that emperumAn is merciless since he had not arrived even then.
- In the sixth pAsuram, she quotes her daughter “is he not merciful by nature? it is due to our fault that he is not coming now”.
- In the seventh pAsuram, she says “emperumAn has mesmerised my daughter so much that, she considers his faults themselves as good qualities”.
- In the eighth pAsuram, she says to emperumAn “Look at her sufferings for taking refuge of you”.
- In the ninth pAsuram, she asks emperumAn “what are you thinking for her attainment of the goal?”.
- In the tenth pAsuram, she says to emperumAn “her beautiful eyes are the only remaining aspect in her; please protect them at the least”.
- In the end, AzhwAr explains the result for those who recite this decad and completes the same.
AzhwAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
emperumAnAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
piLLAn thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nanjIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nampiLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
periyavAchchAn piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
In the next article we will enjoy the next decad.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org