SrImathE SatakOpAya nama:
SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Full series >> Second Centum >> Second decad
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the third pAsuram – AzhwAr says that due to emperumAn‘s sauseelyam (excellent disposition) and super-human activities such as measuring the three worlds, he is the ISwara (controller).
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr says emperumAn is the greatest of all.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s introduction as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
ஏறனை பூவனை பூமகள் தன்னை
வேறுஇன்றி விண் தொழத் தன்னுள் வைத்து
மேல் தன்னை மீதிட நிமிர்ந்து மண் கொண்ட
மால் தனின் மிக்கும் ஓர் தேவும் உளதே?
ERanai pUvanai pUmagaL thannai
vERinRi viN thozhath thannuL vaiththu
mEl thannai mIdhida nimirndhu maN koNda
mAl thanil mikkum Or thEvum uLadhE?
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
ERanai – rudhra who rides a rishaba (bull)
pUvanai – brahmA who is seated on a lotus
pUmagaL thannai – SrI mahAlakshmi who is part of his distinct identity and who is seated in a lotus flower
vERu inRi – without any other opinion (than having her in his divine chest)
than uL – inside his divine body
viN – the residents of paramapadham (who know such excellent disposition of emperumAn with all)
thozha – to worship him
vaiththu – having kept
mEl thannai – the higher world
mIdhida – stepping over
nimirndhu – grew
maN – the earth
koNda – measured and accepted
mAl thanil – than the great person
mikkum – anything greater
Or – one/any
thEvum – God
uLadhE – exist?
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Is there any one greater than the great (emperumAn) who keeps 1) rudhra who rides a bull, 2) brahmA who is seated on a lotus and 3) SrImahAlakshmi who is inseparable and seated on a lotus in his divine chest – in his divine body to be worshipped by the residents of paramapadham (who know emperumAn’s excellent disposition towards all). and who measured the higher (celestial) world by running his feet over the earth, measuring it and accepting it?
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
- ERanai – Just like sarvESvaran is proud about his having garuda as his vehicle, rudhra is proud about having the bull as his vehicle (like a cowherd who would be proud about his cattle).
- pUvanai – brahmA who is proud about his direct connection with bhagavAn. It is because of this direct birth in the lotus flower that he is called as “aja”.
- pUmagaL thannai – one who is made of the fragrance of the lotus flower, who is the embodiment of sweetness (most enjoyable) and who has equal importance to bhagavAn himself as mentioned in thiruvAimozhi 10.10.6 “unakku ERkum” (one who fits your stature). “thannai” after “pUmagaL” highlights her importance over others. While they are mentioned casually as “ERanai“, “pUvanai” – she is mentioned with great emphasis in “pUmagaL thannai“.
- viN thozha vERu inRith thannuL vaiththu – the residents of paramapadham worship emperumAn with great astonishment for his quality of accommodating rudhra, brahmA et al who are not firm in their devotion along with SrI mahAlakshmi who exists purely for emperumAn’s pleasure. nanjIyar asks bhattar “Do brahmA, rudhra et al hold on the emperumAn’s divine form always?” and bhattar replies “No, they are accommodated in a place by emperumAn in his divine body during grave dangers. AzhwArs, holding on to such quality, always speak about it”.
- vERu inRi – As said in thiruvAimozhi 4.8.1 “kURALum thani udamban” (emperumAn who has a divine body where each one takes over a particular part and lives there), handing over his divine body parts in proper order to others.
- viN thozha – As in “manjA: krOSanthi” (bed making noise means one lying on the bed is making noise) – here (spiritual) sky (paramapadham) worshipping means the residents of paramapadham are worshipping. The residents of this material world are amazed with bhagavAn’s supremacy and the residents of the spiritual world are amazed with his simplicity.
- mEl thannai mIdhida nimirndhu maN koNda – mEl thannai – the higher worlds. As said in thirunedunthANdagam 5 “appAl mikku” (greater than the higher places), all parts of earth came under his stretched out lotus feet.
- mAl thanil – greater than sarvESvaran who manifested such super-human activity
- mikkumOr thEvum uLadhE – is there any one greater who exists? Even when emperumAn is mixing freely with all dhEvathAs, is there any one who can be compared with him? Should I declare SrIman nArAyaNan who touched everyone with his lotus feet as supreme or should I declare those who were touched on their heads by that lotus feet as supreme?
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
SrIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org