srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In eighth pAsuram – AzhwAr says “When I left emperumAn considering to be unqualified, I accidentally heard bhagavAn‘s names and hence I am incapable to move away from him; He too is attached to me and hence not leaving me. How amazing!”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Eighth pAsuram – AzhwAr says “I committed a mistake by contemplating upon him and speaking about him. I need to avoid that” and “I need to go to a place where his qualities are not discussed and stay there” and goes to a secluded location and stays there with his head covered with a cloth to conceal his identity. A passer-by who carries heavy weight, being unable to bear that weight, unloaded that there and sighed saying “sriman nArAyaNan“. AzhwAr becomes astonished that his senses have become mesmerized on hearing those words.
selva(n) nAraNan enRa sol kEttathum
malgum kaN pani nAduvan mAyamE
allu nal pagalum idai vIdinRi
nalgi ennai vidAn nambi nambiyE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
selva(n) nAraNan enRa – “srIman nArAyaNan”
sol – auspicious name
kEttalum – on hearing
kaN – eye
pani – tears
malgum – flowing
nAduvan – started searching (from where is this coming)
mAyamE – this is amazing
nambi – bhagavAn who is complete
nal – having goodness (to be approached)
allum – in the night
pagalum – in the day
idai vIdinRi – without any break
nalgi – being friendly
ennai – me
nambi – considering me as his property
vidAn – will not leave me
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
As soon as I heard the name “srIman nArAyaNan”, tears started flowing in my eyes and I started searching for me. How amazing is this! The complete bhagavAn who has the goodness (to be approached by all), being friendly during day and night without any break, considering me as his own, would not leave me.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- selva(n) nAraNan enRa sol kEttalum – Due to AzhwAr‘s influence over others, no one talks about brahmachAri nArAyaNan in his proximity but only talks about “srIman nArAyaNan” [literal translation of selva nAraNan]. He does not even need to analyze the meaning of this word – just hearing that word will bring out great distress for him [thinking about separation from such emperumAn]. Is that possible? Yes, just like some manthrams have an effect in removing the poison from ones body just on hearing them, AzhwAr becomes distressed just on hearing emperumAn‘s name.
- malgum kaNpani nAduvan – His eyes spontaneously shed tears and his heart too spontaneously search for emperumAn.
- mAyamE – This is astonishing; To leave emperumAn I [my consent] was required, but to unite with emperumAn, I am [my consent is] not required.
What did emperumAn do after that?
- allum nal pagalum … – Since this is the time when emperumAn himself made AzhwAr captivated towards him, AzhwAr says “nalla allum nalla pagalum” (the good night and the good day). emperumAn being friendly towards AzhwAr day and night, being complete and pursuing/accepting me, will not give up on me. AzhwAr says “As soon as I heard his name, my eyes were filled with tears and my heart started searching for him; How amazing this is!”.
- idai vIdinRi – I searched for him and gave up; But he continuously pursued me in a friendly manner.
- ennai vidAn nambi nambiyE – Since I am incomplete, the complete emperumAn will not leave me knowing my abilities.
- nambi – he will consider me as worthy and hence not give up on me.
- nambiyE – AzhwAr says “For acquiring a samsAri chEthana (bound soul who is imperfect) and yet considering as if its a great achievement, only bhagavAn is called paripUrNa (most complete) by all”.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org