srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr tells his mind “Seeing us getting the results without even desiring for that, you too, can see us approaching him”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
Fifth pAsuram – AzhwAr explains to his heart – What we said previously “eNNilum varum” (mere contemplation will bring him) is even too much! his nature is such [that he will appear to us even without our contemplation].
kaNdAyE nenjE! karumangaL vAykkinRu
Or eN thAnum inRiyE vanthiyalumARu
uNdAnai ulagEzhum Or adi koNdAnaik
kaNdu koNdanai nIyumE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
nenjE – Oh mind!
karumangaL – actions (such as adhvEsham (not having enmity), Abhimukyam (friendliness), AsrayaNam (surrendering), aRivu (knowledge), nalam (bhakthi/devotion), etc)
vAykkinRu – fructifying
Or – a
eNthAnum inRiyE – even without contemplation
vanthiyalum – happening for us
ARu – way/means
kaNdAyE – have you seen?
How so? Without any desire
ulagu Ezhum – all universes
uNdAnai – safely placed in his stomach (during praLayam (annihilation))
Or – unique/distinct
mUvadi koNdAnai – established them as subservient to him by assuming the form of thrivikrama
nIyum – you too (who don’t have Abhimukyam (friendliness) towards him)
kaNdu koNdanai – received it
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Oh mind! Did you see how the results are fructified for us even without contemplating on actions (such as adhvEsham, Abimukhyam, AsrayaNam, etc)? Like he consumed and safely placed all the universes in his stomach (without them expecting him to do so) and how he established their subservience by measuring the worlds marking his victory over them, you too received his benediction.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- kaNdAyE nenjE – See that what I have said about fructified results is true [In arumpadham, it is highlighted that one of the explanations for “eNNilum varum” – “even without our effort emperumAn will come” is the focus here].
- nenjE – Oh heart/mind! I don’t need to explicitly tell you since you are the origin of the knowledge.
- karumangaL vAykkinRu – While the actions fructify.
- Or eN thAnum inRiyE vanthiyalumARu kaNdAyE – You see that emperumAn appeared even us thinking about him, where he considers “eNNilum varum” (when contemplated, he will appear) is even too much to expect. His supremacy can be explained, but his simplicity is beyond the expression of words.
AzhwAr is showing examples to establish that results fructify even without desire in us.
- uNdAnai … – Does the universe (achith – insentient) have the ability to think that “emperumAn will protect by placing me in his stomach”? “ulagEzhum” is to be applied for both in “uNdAnai” (emperumAn consuming all universes) and “Or mUvadi koNdAnai” (measuring all universes). Similarly, when he was measuring the universe, would the universe realize that emperumAn is placing his lotus feet on my head?
- kaNdu koNdAnai nIyumE – You who have the ability to reject his favour is seeing it now. During praLayam (annihilation), the universe do not have the ability to reject his favour. But here, we have no reason to reject his favours. Since in those cases (measuring worlds, etc), they received his mercy unexpectedly, they could not reject [But you (heart/mind) having knowledge, could have rejected his favour, but you did not – so you are to be appreciated].
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org