srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr mercifully explains the speciality of avathArams [incarnations] which are aimed at bonding with his devotees in this leelA vibhUthi (material realm).
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
Second pAsuram – this pAsuram explains how emperumAn descends from nithya vibhUthi (spiritual realm) into this leelA vibhUthi (material realm), eliminates the enemies of the residents and bonds with them sincerely.
அம்மானாய்ப் பின்னும் எம் மாண்பும் ஆனான்
வெம் மா வாய் கீண்ட செம் மா கண்ணனே
ammAnAyp pinnum em mANbum AnAn
vem mA vAy kINda sem mA kaNNanE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
ammAnAy – being sarvasmAthaparan (supreme compared to everyone else) swAmi (master)
vem – harsh/fierce
mA – horse
vAy – mouth
kINda – tore
sem – reddish
mA – big
kaNNan – krishNa who has such (reddish big) eyes
pinnum – further, not stopping with that
emmANbum AnAn – became great; became beautiful in various avathArams.
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Being the supreme master, krishNa who has reddish big eyes, tore the mouth of the harsh/fierce horse and further acquired greatness/beauty in various avathArams. mANbu – It can also be explained that in krishNAvathAram, he manifested most enjoyable activities.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- mANbu – beauty in avathArams is multifold compared to parathvam (in paramapadham) – In yajur vEdham it is seen “…sa u srEyAn bhavathi jAyamAna:” (…that bhagavAn takes birth. After taking birth, he acquires great radiance).
- ammAnAy – thus being the supreme person
- vemmA vAy kINda semmA kaNNan pinnum emmANbum AnAn – there was a fierce animal – kEsi the horse; the one who tore its mouth. When kEsi appeared with an open mouth in front of kaNNan emperumAn, srI nAradha bhagavAn seaw that, became frightened and fell unconscious screaming “jagadhasthamitham” (the world is coming to an end). The fear nAradha bhagavAn went through at that time, AzhwAr goes through the same just by remembering that incident.
- semmA kaNNanE – krishNa who is having the eyes which have blossomed big and habe become reddish on the joy of destroying the enemy.
- pinnum emmANbum AnAn – Not just stopping with that avathAram, he assumed many other avathArms as explained in srI bhagavath gIthA 4.5 “bahUni mE vyathIthAni…” (Oh destroyer of enemies (arjuna)! I have also taken many births and you have too. I remember all my births but you do not). mANbu means beauty; the beauty of manifesting supremacy in human form is glorified here.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org