srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the ninth pAsuram – nammAzhwAr says “The butter given by yasOdha et al (gOpikAs) are nectarean for you. But my association with you will be poisonous for you. So, my leaving you is appropriate”. emperumAn replies “The poison of pUthanA is unfavourable for me, but your faults are not”. Hearing this AzhwAr says “in that case, I won’t leave” and becomes satisfied.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Ninth pAsuram – emperumAn says to AzhwAr “Your body which you consider as lowly is that which would sustain me like the butter given by yasOdhA et al in thiruvAyppAdi (gOkulam)”; AzhwAr replies “The butter given by those who have great attachment towards you would sustain you. But association with me who doesn’t have such attachment is poisonous for you”. emperumAn says “Oh! is it poison? Nothing wrong even if it is poison”. AzhwAr too says “Yes – it is poison and nothing less than poison”. emperumAn then says “In that case, I accepted pUthanA’s poison – so there is nothing that will be rejected by me”. Hearing this AzhwAr becomes satisfied. It is also explained as “Just like krishNa killed pUthanA, emperumAn terminated my thought of leaving from him”.
மாயோம் தீய அலவலை பெருமா வஞ்சப் பேய் வீயத்
தூய குழவியை விடப்பால் அமுதா அமுது செய்திட்ட
மாயன் வானோர் தனித் தலைவன் மலராள் மைந்தன் எவ்வுயிர்க்கும்
தாயோன் தம்மான் என்னம்மான் அம்மா மூர்த்தியைச் சார்ந்தே
mAyOm thIya alavalai perumA vanjap pEy vIyath
thUya kuzhaviyAy vidappAl amudhA amudhu seydhitta
mAyan vAnOr thanith thalaivan malarAL maindhan evvuyirkkum
thAyOn thammAn ennammAn ammA mUrththiyaich chArndhE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
thIya – having ill-intentions
alavalai – one who is a constant chatter
peru – beyond measurement
mA – big
vanjam – deceitful
pEy – devil
vIya – to finish her
thUya – unblemished
kuzhviyAy – being a child
vidappAl – poisonous milk
amudhA – accepting it as nectar
amudhu seydhitta – ate
mAyan – one with amazing nature
vAnOr – for the nithyasUris
thanith thalaivan – singular controller
malarAL – to SrI mahAlakshmi who resides in the lotus flower
maindhan – one who has most enjoyable youth
evvuyirkkum – for all jIvAthmAs
thAyOn – having motherly affection
thammAn – being the controller of himself
en ammAn – my master who is not letting me leave him
ammA mUrththiyai – one who has that distinct and beautiful form
sArnthu – approached
mAyOm – cannot finish both emperumAn and myself. If not separated, both perumAL and AzhwAr can sustain themselves.
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
emperumAn has an amazing nature where he being a pure hearted child, accepted the poisonous milk of the devil pUthanA (who was having ill-intentions, who was constantly chattering, who was having immeasurable deceitfulness) as nectar to kill her. He is the singular controller of nithyasUris (eternally liberated), who has the enjoyable youth for SrI mahAlakshmi’s pleasure, who has motherly affection towards all beings and who is my master (for not failing me). I approached such emperumAn who has distinct and great form, so both he and I can sustain ourselves.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- mAyOm – Since AzhwAr‘s state is “separation means death”, AzhwAr says we will not leave and die. Here “we” (plural) indicates AzhwAr and his friends/relatives/dependents. It can also refer to AzhwAr and emperumAn both of whom cannot bear the separation.
- thIya alavalaip perumA vanjap pEy vIya – As explained in hari vamsam 53 “sthanyam thadhvishasammisram rasyamAsIjjagadhgurO:” (For the one who killed pUthanA to save the universe and thus was called universal preceptor (krishNa), the poisonous breast milk became nectar) – pUthanA who came to kill krishNa, the root cause of everything (if krishNa is killed the whole universe will cease to exist), who was saying sweet words like yasOdhA – she disguised as yasOdhA with ill-intentions and even made bhagavAn who is svathassarvagya (naturally fully knowledegable) himself wonder if she was yasOdhA herself.
- thUya kuzhaviyAy – Even though he has all the wealth and opulence, emperumAn behaved like an innocent child.
But if he is an innocent child, why was not he killed by the poison?
- vidappAlamudhA – The poison became nectarean to him – but his birth itself causes destruction to the asuras.
- mAyan – He is so amazing that he converts poison to nectar, protects himself, thus protecting all of us (if he died, we also would have died). Since pUthaNa was offering the poisonous milk purely for krishNa (not for herself and not for others), it became nectar – since anything that was offered exclusively to bhagavAn, he will accept that happily.
Who was the one who changed pUthanA’s poison to nectar?
- vAnOr thanith thalaivan – The exclusive leader of ayarvaRum amarargaL (nithyasUris)
- malarAL maindhan – the divine couple who is served by nithyasUris as explained in thiruvAimozhi 8.1.4 “dhEvimArAvAr thirumagaL bhUmi Eva maRRamarar AtcheyvAr” (nithyasUris serve bhagavAn with his divine consorts as ordered by them). maindhan indicates one who is suitable for SrI mahAlakshmi. Due to his connection with her, he is eternally youthful.
- evvuyirkkum thAyOn – One who has motherly affection towards all jIvAthmAs.
- thammAn – sarvEsvaran
- ennammAn – One who ensured that I did not leave him and give up my life. Keeping me in a higher position than nithyasUris and all other jIvAthmAs and giving me special blessings.
- am mA mUrththiyaich chArndhE – surrendering unto such great personality who has a distinctly beautiful form and thus be protected.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org